problems accelarating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > problems accelarating

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
philardoin
1976 CJ5 

problems accelarating

My jeep stopped firing so I changed my coil,battery,and distributor. Now the jeep starts up and idles fine but as soon as I give it the gas it starts missing and dies. I have the distributor with the points and was wondering if that has anything to do with it. I would appreciate any help I could get.

philardoin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
ChrisCarlock
1982 CJ7 

Scrap the points and go to electronic.

Make sure timing is right! It might be too advanced.
ChrisCarlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Did you replace the condenser?
How did you set the dwell and timing?
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
When was the last time you rebuilt the carb?
What about your fuel pump psi.
You sure there's gas in the tank?
LG
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
philardoin
1976 CJ5 

the timing is good I timed it with a timing light. I think thew carb is fine it seems to be getting the right amount of fuel b/c whenever I spry some starting fluid in the carb it does not make any difference it still wants to die. What do yall recommend I replace the points with?
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

AGAIN-What did you set the dwell at? S/B about 28-32 degrees.
OR, I'll ask it this way-What did you set the point's gap at???
Did you replace the condenser??
You may also have advance issues due to the weights sticking etc.
LG
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
jeepmor

Sounds like a dead accelerator pump in the carb. Idle is controlled by metering screws, but taking off plunges the accelerator pump to give extra gas during speed up.

I had this happen to a Datsun as a kid, same exact symptoms you describe. My new accelerator pump valve rubber cost me 89 cents. One of the cheapest fixes I've ever encountered. If this is it, just buy a rebuild kit and rebuild your carb.

You should be able to diagnose it by looking into the carb while you actuate the throttle briskly. If you don't see extra fuel squirting into the bores, that's probably your issue. This troubleshooting will work without the engine running also, but don't overdo it or you'll flood the engine.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You probably have a Carter carb, so the comments about accelerator diaphragms do not apply. There is a plunger that is linked to the throttle linkage and it is pushed down into a well in the float bowl, pushing extra fuel into the venturi. It is connected using a fragile plastic tab and screw, under the plate on top of the carb. If you take off the air cleaner and remove the plate you can see the rods moving up and down and the top of that plunger and plastic tab.

if you want to reset the tab you need to look up the Carter service manual on line and follow the procedure. I had the rubber tip fall off on the plunger on a BBD. Best test is if you work the linkage and it shoots petrol into the venturi.

If your dwell angle is all wrong and the vacuum advance is not hooked up or weights are sticking you will not see the ignition timing change. I suggest you hook up the timing light again and check that the timing is changing when you disconect the vacuum advance tube and when you increase engine speed above idle.

If you want to replace the points your choices are pretty wide. It is quite cheap to buy the late 1970s Motorcraft Duraspark type ignition whch was stock on a CJ of 1978-1983, rebuilt distributor and new ICM, which will get you running but there are other choices as well.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
kirbot
1981 CJ7 

Electronic ignition is the FIRST upgrade I would make to any vehicle old enough to come with points.

It's certainly possible the carb is causing problems, but it's worth going electronic whether it fixes this issue or not, imo
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
You probably have a Carter carb, so the comments about accelerator diaphragms do not apply. There is a plunger that is linked to the throttle linkage and it is pushed down into a well in the float bowl, pushing extra fuel into the venturi..

Umm, the only mention of accelerator diaphragms is BagusJeep. The accelerator pump as I mention above is exactly as BagusJeep describes. I've never heard of an accelerator diaphragm, this confused me a bit. All I've ever seen on carbs are plungers, not diaphragms. I'm no carb guru though.

But yes, I'll concur, the BBD has a plunger, not a diaphragm. Rebuild of carb is in order. And an electronic ignition, but get it running first.
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Umm, the only mention of accelerator diaphragms is BagusJeep. The accelerator pump as I mention above is exactly as BagusJeep describes. I've never heard of an accelerator diaphragm, this confused me a bit. All I've ever seen on carbs are plungers, not diaphragms. .
Jeepmore, my apologies. My eyes are getting really tired and I read it as diaphragms.

Diaphragms are used on Weber, Solex and other such pumps.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
jeepmor

No worries Bagus, just never worked on those carbs to see a diaphragm accelerator pump. I left carbs behind about 1996-7. Since then I've had a Howell TBI. Highly recommended, but a bit expensive for what this thread's OP is trying to accomplish. A carb rebuild kit in this case should only run $20 or so.

I've done the BBD rebuild, it's easy, just follow the directions carefully and use drill bits to set initial choke opening.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
jeep1000
1985 CJ7 

Sounds to me more like a fuel delivery issue. I went through a world of problems one night after my carb and distributor swap. Be sure the fuel system is clear. Check all the lines, fuel filter, etc. Check the carb like the guys above are saying.
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
philardoin
1976 CJ5 

Thanks everyone I'm at work tonight but I will try rebuilding my carb and checking my fuel delivery system and let u guys know what happens
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Another points debate... Here we go...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #15
jeep1000
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
Another points debate... Here we go...
*gets a bag of popcorn*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.