Problem with my air control mechanism - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Problem with my air control mechanism

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRecon View Post
The one that controls this mechanism should be the longest. I'm interested in this "adjustment drum," I don't think I've seen it and all the ducting is sitting on my garage floor.
I'll take a picture of the adjustment drum and post it up here in a little while. First I got to eat me some grub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRecon View Post
Also, when you're at the second position, the flapper on the passenger side should also open like only in a jeep cj said. Maybe there is some binding with that cable?
My flaps move like they should, when they should, it's just that the knob comes out of the dash too far. After finding the adjustment knob, I got it to stay in the dash, but now the passenger side flap doesn't close all the way.

And about this problem, I took a closer look at everything last night, and I believe my cable is stretched a bit. The knob doesn't go all they way into the dash either. So I believe I can fix the entire problem by bending another loop in it like was suggested. I'll find out tomorrow. Tonight I must relax and enjoy some beers.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/fellow-jeepers-ive-got-offer-you-1056989/
Daladim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

Alright Newdrecon, here is a pic of the adjuster drum:

(On a side note, does anyone know what the little red electrical connection is on this duct?)

As for the rest of my problem, I got some pics to show what is going on.

This is the knob in the closed or off position, after I adjusted the cable with the drum:

Notice how it is sticking out a bit. If I force it in all the way, the cable itself kinks. The temp knob sticks out because I didn't have it closed all the way. It sits flush with the housing in the second pic below this one.

And this is the passenger side vent flap as it sits with the knob in the off position:

This is the knob pulled out to the heat position:

And the knob pulled all the way out to open all vents:

It's not coming all the way out of the dash anymore.

This is the vent flap in it's open position:

Since the knob sticks out a bit in the off position and kinks if I push it in any further, I figure that means there is room to add another wrap to it. This should make it so it will close all the way, and stay in the dash when I open it all the way. Then I can adjust the drum so that the vent flap closes all the way, and not have any problems with it again.

At least I hope so.

Unread 07-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Daladim
1982 CJ7 

I went out this morning and gave the cable another wrap to the eye, and put it all back together. Everything works correctly now! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Does anyone know what the little red electrical connection is on this duct?

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's for the Fan speed.

There are three wire resistors there that control the amount of current going to the Fan motor.

Since they get very hot, they put it in the path of cool air coming into the heating assembly

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #21
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daladim View Post
Alright Newdrecon, here is a pic of the adjuster drum:

(On a side note, does anyone know what the little red electrical connection is on this duct?)

As for the rest of my problem, I got some pics to show what is going on.

This is the knob in the closed or off position, after I adjusted the cable with the drum:

Notice how it is sticking out a bit. If I force it in all the way, the cable itself kinks. The temp knob sticks out because I didn't have it closed all the way. It sits flush with the housing in the second pic below this one.

And this is the passenger side vent flap as it sits with the knob in the off position:

This is the knob pulled out to the heat position:

And the knob pulled all the way out to open all vents:

It's not coming all the way out of the dash anymore.

This is the vent flap in it's open position:

Since the knob sticks out a bit in the off position and kinks if I push it in any further, I figure that means there is room to add another wrap to it. This should make it so it will close all the way, and stay in the dash when I open it all the way. Then I can adjust the drum so that the vent flap closes all the way, and not have any problems with it again.

At least I hope so.
Looks like you need to adjust that adjustment barrel to close the passenger side flap. It should be sealed off when the button is pushed in fully.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
air , air vent , blower , fresh air , heater , heater control , heater core , vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.