Problem with Craigslist tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Problem with Craigslist tire carrier

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Problem with Craigslist tire carrier

I found what I thought was a sweet Craigslist find on a swing out tire carrier. Unfortunately there are no markings or brand stamps anywhere and I am having a tough time with the install. It came off if a scrambler and the guys included all the bolts and frame tie in brackets but the issue is the bottom tabs. It looks like I will need to remove the entire rear shackle hanger to mount this up. Thought? Should I just grind it off to use only 1 rear shackle hanger bolt? Or just take it all apart?

image-1293426145.jpg   image-3712414234.jpg  
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

Those tabs were meant to go between the shackles and frame. The stock rear crossmember on our old Jeeps isn't strong enough to hold that bumper with a spare on it. I tore the crap out of the rear crossmember with a much smaller bumper and trailer hitch before finding a better mount. Mine didn't even hold a spare tire and the crossmember was overwhelmed. Those tabs provide a direct frame contact. There are other ways to mount to the frame but no matter what, I recommend you tie that big bumper somehow firmly to a frame mount. And definitely don't hang a spare on it until you do or you might find the whole assembly ripping right off.
geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

I made my own bumper, but it mounts the same way. I actually turned my shackle hanger ound so its holes were farther forward and then the holes were free to mount up the bumper. It is very simple to unbolt the shackle hanger and mount the bumper with its tab given tabs. You probaly could use new bolts on the hanger anyways. However if you dont feel confident enough to undo 4 bolts you can cut off the horizontal tab and just use the frame brackets. It should be strong enough with good bolts and washers. You may find you need to space it off the jeep just a bit, my hitch required about 3/4", if so just get 8 longer grade 8 bolts and use some large nuts between the crossmember and bumper to space it out a bit.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

I think I've got that carrier...but it was installed by the PO so I'm not sure of it's origin either.

I can say this, You're correct, it ties in betweent the frame and the shackle hanger....it tkaes some work, but not too big of a deal to get it installed.

....and it's really well built and sturdy. Get it installed, you'll like it.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

It kind of looks like a LOD Swing out tire carrier. On their bumper, it only has 1 hole and the instructions say to just take off the outside bolt for the shackle hanger. I was leaning towards grinding off the 2nd hole on the one I have and following these instructions. The bumper did come with frame-tie-in brackets, so the full weight would not be on the cross member. I am comfortable taking the hanger off, just not wanting to do all of that, but if you guys think I will gain a lot more structural integrity, I can turn my hour or two install into a few hours.
dsc06633.jpg  
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

You'll want to brace and reinforce the rear cross member piece with either 3/16" plate or even better 1/4" bent at 90 degree corners. Bolt it to the inside or weld it. Will make it very strong back there.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.