Pro Comp SHocks and new leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pro Comp SHocks and new leaf springs

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
tmholland
1980 CJ5 

Pro Comp SHocks and new leaf springs

I just put a 2.5" lift kit and new pro comp shocks and leaf springs on my 1980 CJ5. The ride is a little stiffer than I thought. Will my ride be a little softer after they get broken in?

tmholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
benwilde

Imo no. Not if they are pro comp springs. I tried the tuff country for about 2 weeks before I ripped them off and spent the money for a nice set of Rubicon Express springs. Imo you get what you pay for.
benwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
LimeLite
1978 CJ5 

Based on my 4" springs, I'd also say no. I took a leaf out of mine to soften it up and improve my shackle angle. The 4" springs are known to be stiff and short, so the shackle tends to invert off road. I don't have any personal knowledge of the 2.5" lifts, but just something to keep in mind.

Ex-Member of offroad nuts
LimeLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Even with a quality suspension lift, there are three main causes of rough ride.
1) Over-inflated tires... many of us mount tires with stiff side walls intended for much heavier vehicles. They won't require a very high pressure to maintain full inflation.
2) Over-torqued suspension bolts... too much resistance will keep the suspension from free movement.
3) Shocks that are too stiff... too much resistance will transfer road shock directly to the frame.

Correcting these three aspects of your suspension will improve your ride.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
benwilde

I second the tire pressure comment. I ran mine at 35 Si like the tire said until it was brought to my attention that that psi is bases on a certain weight. I run 33" Big o xt's at 20 psi front and 15 psi rear...made a huge difference .
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

I run pro comp 2.5 springs. Mine have softened up pretty good. I never thought they were all that stiff to begin with. If you wheel with them they will loosen up quicker.
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
tmholland
1980 CJ5 

If I would have gone with no lift and put new leaf springs and shocks on would that have made any difference?
tmholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwilde View Post
I run 33" Big o xt's at 20 psi front and 15 psi rear...made a huge difference .
Wow that seems really low, have you done the chalk test? I've been afraid to drop down that low on my CJ5, but nothing seems to make the ride any better. I'm running 32" BFG ATs, Skyjacker 2.5" superride with Ranch 9000XLs in the rear and some junk KYB Excel-G front shocks. I've made sure everything is greased, loose and free but it's still a brutal ride (offroad, it's fine on the street).

My ride is so rough that my girlfriend thought her insides were damaged after driving up the east side of Rollins pass.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
benwilde

Mine felt like the axles were welded to the frame. I thought that was low also, however, the jeep is so light, it doesn't even bulge the tires a bit give it a whirl.
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

I'm running about 24 lbs in my tires. I loaned my Jeep to my daughter once to go to the beach in Galveston. On the way back she stopped and had it checked out, washer fluid, oil, power steering fluid ect and a fellow told her that her tires were low and her put 36 lbs in each one. The next morning I went out, got into the Jeep and started for work and it rode hard as all get out. I finally figured out what she had done after about three days and let the aur back down to 24.

I've also been doing a great deal of research on ride since I am 63 and can use a touch of softness now. From everything I have seen and heard the CJ to YJ spring conversion is the way to go. Rubicon Express offers a really great kit that is 4.5" and, for about the same price, you can get 2.5" Ol Man Emu springs if you piece together all the other parts individually.

I'm going the Rubicon Express route myself.
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
benwilde

I love my 4.5" Rubicon Express. My cj 5 rides softer than my '98 Dodge Dually...LOL

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.