Preventing a $2500 mistake - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Preventing a $2500 mistake

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77

What gear ratio is good for 33's?

I have no idea what tires to buy. I want something that I won't have to replace in a year and something that drives nice on the highway as well as the mud/snow. I'm open for suggestions on the tires as well. I was looking at the Pro Comp All Terrain Radial, but they don't make a 33 with 15" wheels.

I run 33" with 3.31 gearing. If I ever re-gear I'm going towards 3.73 or 3.91, again if I ever do re-gear. It's not high on my wish list because I have no issues getting going or hitting highway speeds. I can chug along the interstate with everyone else and accelerate around slower drivers while still getting relatively good mpg for a jeep. Mud King XT get pretty good mileage and wear. I've been using these for over a decade (3 sets). Sidewalls leave room to desire, but I've been fond of them. They are horrible on wet/slick pavement, though.

Edit: I give a lot of credit to a racing cam and the Howell TBI for my jeep not being doggy, though.

RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77 View Post
What gear ratio is good for 33's?

I have no idea what tires to buy. I want something that I won't have to replace in a year and something that drives nice on the highway as well as the mud/snow. I'm open for suggestions on the tires as well. I was looking at the Pro Comp All Terrain Radial, but they don't make a 33 with 15" wheels.

It all depends on what you plan to do. When I had 33's and a t150 instead of regearing I swapped trannies. I came to that decision based on the fact that the tranny + rebuild + adapter to the d300 was much cheaper than a regear. Also, the t150 is geared like crap anyway. In your case, the T5 is a weak tranny so you might want to consider a tranny swap which might negate the need to regear depending on your tranny gears. By swapping trannies (depending on the tranny) not only will your gears in your axles be fine, but they will also be stronger than a higher numerical gear.

Most people who ask me what gears I run with my 37's are shocked when I say 3.73's...until I tell them what tranny I use.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

I vote for 33x12.50x15s, unless you regear, then get 35s. Also if you mud alot it may be a good idea to get wider rears and skinnier fronts. like 10.50s/12.50s or 12.50s/14.00. It helps cut a patch. My TSLs up front cut through and direct me while my fat rear boggers push and push and push. But you will be dissapointed with that much lift and 32s. Stock CJS will fit skinny 33s in most cases. But with your axle ratio and 6 cylinder anything bigger would bog you down too much.

Tags
tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.