JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Preventing a $2500 mistake (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/preventing-2500-mistake-1472649/)

Jester77 02-02-2013 06:00 AM

Preventing a $2500 mistake

I'm getting ready to purchase five new tires and wheels for the CJ. I do not want to make a $2500 mistake.

It has a stock 258, T5 transmission, Dana 300 transfer case, Dana 30 front end, AMC 20 wide track rear end with 3.31 gears. It's going to be a daily driver with some off roading on the weekends (mainly mud/dirt).

I put a Rubicon Express 4.5" CJ Extreme Duty Lift on it. I'm not planning on swapping any axles out at this point but will change the gears in the rear end if I need to. I don't want this to be a death trap.

Initially I was going to put 33's on it. But after reading some things on the forum, it's got me thinking twice about that. I have no idea what the best size tires and wheels to put on this monster.

I want to buy some ATX 186 Slot Chrome wheels, but don't know what size to get. Should I get 15, 16, or 17 inch?

What size tires would be a good fit for this application? I'm now thinking 32's.

Would gladly accept any advice on how to spend this money. :2thumbsup:

Jester

lucdog 02-02-2013 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would stay with a 15" rim, and only go to a 16" if the tires your looking at are not Available in a 15". I would stay away from the 17", its my understanding 17" tires are more expensive , and you may find limited tires as they're not as common. Plus they don't show enough side wall for a 32/33" tire.

As far as tire size, I think 33's would look best with your lift.

Check the Manufacturers web site for the tire your looking at, they have the tire diameters listed. You may find a 32" tire may only be 31.5" and a 33 may be 32.5". The exception to this would be INTERCO Super Swampers. SS tires tend to run the Advertised diameter if not larger.

Your comment on being a "death trap" really doesn't apply to rim/tire size, that's more a function of front end components. Here's a example.
On of my CJ 7's has 2.5" lift, 1" body lift, and 1/2" shackle lift. I have 35/12.50/15's on it for street driving, I feel perfectly safe at 65 mph on the road.

Bill

On edit, if anyone is Curious, where's a screen shot of the rims.

Attachment 555942

Jester77 02-02-2013 08:59 AM

Bill,

I appreciate that advice, it is sound. I read in another post where someone stated that big tires could turn a CJ into a death trap. I probably took it out of context, that's why I made that comment. I don't want this thing to be drifting all over the road. Outside of the axles, it has a completely new suspension on it.

I haven't settled on a tire brand yet, although I'm looking at Pro Comp. Any advice on a good brand for highway/rain/some snow and weekend mud?

Jester

RedCJ83 02-02-2013 09:13 AM

Jester,

A couple of other things to think about. I have the same engine, axles, and transmission as you. I run 35x12.50's Mickey Thompson mud claws. When I go to replace them I think I'm going to run 33's, the 35's are just so heavy, they stuff the fenders when articulating, and I have now spun the tubes in my AMC 20, I trussed out the axle to fix the problem. I can send pics if you want them. I've run 33's and 35's and I've never really ran across that many obstacles off road that I had to have 35's for, most everything I've come across that could have been done with 35's could also be accomplished with 33's.

Redmanchew 02-02-2013 09:20 AM

I used to run 33 x10.5 15 BFG TA/ko's there are a few manufactures otu there that still make "pizza cutters" that look good and perform well in most applications.
Just make sure when looking at wheels that the center hole is large enough to fit over your lockouts....
and watch out for "dual bolt pattern" where the wheels have 10 holes in them vs 5.
Before you actually lay down the cash, call the outlet or center where you plan on buying them and make sure they are what you are looking for and are in stock.... nothing like waiting on backorders that last for many months...

RobsCrawlin7 02-02-2013 09:23 AM

since you plan on sticking with the stock axles, I would put 1 peice shafts in weld the tubes and maybe even truss it. I would run 33's, and probably flip the tie rod. I am not sure about the RE kit, but if it doesnt come with new HD shackles...I would check out crabtree tool and die and get a set of those. I agree 100% on staying with 15" wheels. anything over 15" will cost more.

Jester77 02-02-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobsCrawlin7 (Post 14894592)
I am not sure about the RE kit, but if it doesnt come with new HD shackles...I would check out crabtree tool and die and get a set of those.

I'm sporting a new set of crabtree shackle hangers and the RE kit comes with some very heavy duty (greasable) shackles. :thumbsup:

mvigo 02-02-2013 09:29 AM

X2 on Bill's advice of a 15" rim. I run 32" Cooper tires and love them but keep in mind 32" size is getting harder to find throughout all product lines and manufacturers. 33" tires probably look better with a 4" lift and are much more readily available. Also, if you swap gears in the rear you will have to swap to the same size in the front.

And here is a plug for Cooper tires, they are made here in the U.S.A.! Cooper also manufacturers Pro Comps, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepaks...

Jester77 02-02-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCJ83 (Post 14894562)
I can send pics if you want them.

In my opinion, there are not enough pictures for reference on the forum. Post 'em or PM me.

Jester

lavern23 02-02-2013 10:21 AM

It's sounds like you've got a solid suspension setup. I would definitely put 1 piece axels in and a truss as already mentioned. I've got the similar suspension setup on my scrambler and run 33's on a 15x10 rim. I just recently had to purchase tires. Mine were dry rotting. I picked up a set of 5 bfg mt km2's. I am extremely happy with their on and offroad manners. They are fairly quiet and have no road roar.

I'm geared with 355's, a small block and a t176.

Ive had many Jeeps and many different brands and kinds of tires. 33's would be my vote and I would definitely get the km2's again.

Good luck with your choice.

SlikRic 02-02-2013 11:26 AM

^^X2^^ I have 32x11.5 bfg km2 and Love them on and off road :highfive:

RenoF250 02-02-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigo (Post 14894617)
X2 on Bill's advice of a 15" rim. I run 32" Cooper tires and love them but keep in mind 32" size is getting harder to find throughout all product lines and manufacturers. 33" tires probably look better with a 4" lift and are much more readily available. Also, if you swap gears in the rear you will have to swap to the same size in the front.

And here is a plug for Cooper tires, they are made here in the U.S.A.! Cooper also manufacturers Pro Comps, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepaks...

I always give Cooper a shot at tire time but they are difficult to find.

I think you will want new gears soon. I have the same setup as you but 4.11 and 32" tires and 5th is only usable on flat ground. It will be useless for you.

What tires are you looking at?

row684 02-02-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250
I think you will want new gears soon. I have the same setup as you but 4.11 and 32" tires and 5th is only usable on flat ground. It will be useless for you.

You WILL want gears with 33's unless you never go over 50 and drive it like a 4 speed. My 258/t5/d300/331's go fine in 1-4 gears but 5th is only flat ground and zero acceleration! Course maybe my 258 is just tired too. My T5 didn't last long either with 33's but it wasn't in good shape when I got the jeep.

RamblingCJ 02-02-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250

I always give Cooper a shot at tire time but they are difficult to find.

You shouldn't have a problem with 5th gear if you're running 4.11 and 32" tires. Something doesn't sound right there.

Jester77 02-02-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoF250 (Post 14895074)

What gear ratio is good for 33's?

I have no idea what tires to buy. I want something that I won't have to replace in a year and something that drives nice on the highway as well as the mud/snow. I'm open for suggestions on the tires as well. I was looking at the Pro Comp All Terrain Radial, but they don't make a 33 with 15" wheels.

:confused:

The time now is 12:49 AM.