Pressure plate not lined up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pressure plate not lined up

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
rsegriggy
1981 CJ7 

Pressure plate not lined up

I'm putting a new clutch into my CJ. I can get 5 of the 6 bolts on the pressure plate in. One hole is not quite drilled correctly. I've tried rotating the position of the pressure plate, but the problem follows the same hole. It looks like I can just use a die grinder and oblong the hole slightly. I hesitate, because I don't want to have to take this apart again any time soon.

Bad idea to enlarge hole a little? I don't need to assemble this tonight (or this week), but I don't want to leave a half built mess in the garage for too long....

rsegriggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Are you talking about the pressure plate or the flywheel?
The pressure plate should have even spaced holes that will line up in any direction. If one is off on a new assemb ly, I would opt for an exchange, as "modifying" the PP can void it's warranty.
many of the flywheels have an off spaced bolt to insure they are aligned properly with the crank. Many times you will have to rotate them through a number of bolt holes till you get them aligned.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
rsegriggy
1981 CJ7 

I was thinking the pressure plate. I've not heard of the fly wheel having an offset hole. This is on a 79ish 258 connected to a T-18. (I don't know what year it actually is.) I've put clutches in this jeep before and never worried about the orientation of the bolt pattern. Did I just luck out the last time I put a clutch? I'll check it tomorrow.
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

The flywheel has an offset hole and will only bolt up in one position. The pressure plate should line up in any hole pattern.

I would not modify it since it spins. Offsetting it even a little likely will cause it to vibrate since it is not spinning perfectly in center of where it was designed to.
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
S76
1984 CJ7 

I don't think it would be too bad to oblong a hole a tiny bit. The other 5 (?) bolt holes should have the PP properly located. On the other hand how much is it off? If it is off 1/4 of a hole that is too much. Take it back. If it is off .010 or .015 I would go with it.
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
CSP

You're not installing one bolt and tightening it all the way down, and then moving to the next one are you?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

If all of the p'plate holes do not line up. Then the p'plate is not centered to the f'wheel.
Where did you get this plate?
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I would take it back and get another one rather than modify it. There is a lot of rotating mass on a Jeep engine. Don't mess with it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Could also be that the flywheel hole is off.
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Do you have the pressure plate that came off of there, or was it turned in as a core? If you still have it, compare the two. Since there was a pressure plate on there before, it's not the flywheel.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Do you have the pressure plate that came off of there, or was it turned in as a core? If you still have it, compare the two. Since there was a pressure plate on there before, it's not the flywheel.
He didn't say of he replaced the flywheel or not.
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

In his first post he said "I'm putting a new clutch into my CJ." To me that means removing the old pressure plate and clutch plate. I doubt he replaced the flywheel. I would put money on the hole being off in the pressure plate from the "factory."

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
In his first post he said "I'm putting a new clutch into my CJ." To me that means removing the old pressure plate and clutch plate. I doubt he replaced the flywheel. I would put money on the hole being off in the pressure plate from the "factory."
Either way, just throwing it out as a possibility IF he did.
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Almost sounds like somebody dropped the pressure plate, bent the frame. This might cause problems trying to release the clutch evenly.

I'd take it back.
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
rsegriggy
1981 CJ7 

It's a LUK clutch I got from Rock Auto. I did not replace the flywheel. I still have the old pressure plate. I will compare tonight when I get home. I'll call LUK and Rock Auto today and see what can be done. Already installed the pilot bushing, not really encouraged at the thought of having to get that out again to return the kit complete...

Interesting story, the old pilot bushing came out when I removed the transmission. That doesn't seem right....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.