JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Pressure plate not lined up (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pressure-plate-not-lined-up-1554936/)

rsegriggy 07-28-2013 07:53 PM

Pressure plate not lined up

I'm putting a new clutch into my CJ. I can get 5 of the 6 bolts on the pressure plate in. One hole is not quite drilled correctly. I've tried rotating the position of the pressure plate, but the problem follows the same hole. It looks like I can just use a die grinder and oblong the hole slightly. I hesitate, because I don't want to have to take this apart again any time soon.

Bad idea to enlarge hole a little? I don't need to assemble this tonight (or this week), but I don't want to leave a half built mess in the garage for too long....

jeepdaddy2000 07-28-2013 08:07 PM

Are you talking about the pressure plate or the flywheel?
The pressure plate should have even spaced holes that will line up in any direction. If one is off on a new assemb ly, I would opt for an exchange, as "modifying" the PP can void it's warranty.
many of the flywheels have an off spaced bolt to insure they are aligned properly with the crank. Many times you will have to rotate them through a number of bolt holes till you get them aligned.

rsegriggy 07-28-2013 08:13 PM

I was thinking the pressure plate. I've not heard of the fly wheel having an offset hole. This is on a 79ish 258 connected to a T-18. (I don't know what year it actually is.) I've put clutches in this jeep before and never worried about the orientation of the bolt pattern. Did I just luck out the last time I put a clutch? I'll check it tomorrow.

MoC 07-28-2013 08:17 PM

The flywheel has an offset hole and will only bolt up in one position. The pressure plate should line up in any hole pattern.

I would not modify it since it spins. Offsetting it even a little likely will cause it to vibrate since it is not spinning perfectly in center of where it was designed to.

S76 07-28-2013 08:23 PM

I don't think it would be too bad to oblong a hole a tiny bit. The other 5 (?) bolt holes should have the PP properly located. On the other hand how much is it off? If it is off 1/4 of a hole that is too much. Take it back. If it is off .010 or .015 I would go with it.

CSP 07-28-2013 09:17 PM

You're not installing one bolt and tightening it all the way down, and then moving to the next one are you?

LumpyGrits 07-28-2013 10:38 PM

If all of the p'plate holes do not line up. Then the p'plate is not centered to the f'wheel.
Where did you get this plate?
LG

82JeepCJ7 07-28-2013 10:58 PM

I would take it back and get another one rather than modify it. There is a lot of rotating mass on a Jeep engine. Don't mess with it.

MoC 07-28-2013 11:01 PM

Could also be that the flywheel hole is off.

82JeepCJ7 07-28-2013 11:04 PM

Do you have the pressure plate that came off of there, or was it turned in as a core? If you still have it, compare the two. Since there was a pressure plate on there before, it's not the flywheel.

MoC 07-28-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Do you have the pressure plate that came off of there, or was it turned in as a core? If you still have it, compare the two. Since there was a pressure plate on there before, it's not the flywheel.

He didn't say of he replaced the flywheel or not.

82JeepCJ7 07-28-2013 11:26 PM

In his first post he said "I'm putting a new clutch into my CJ." To me that means removing the old pressure plate and clutch plate. I doubt he replaced the flywheel. I would put money on the hole being off in the pressure plate from the "factory."

MoC 07-28-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
In his first post he said "I'm putting a new clutch into my CJ." To me that means removing the old pressure plate and clutch plate. I doubt he replaced the flywheel. I would put money on the hole being off in the pressure plate from the "factory."

Either way, just throwing it out as a possibility IF he did.

John Strenk 07-29-2013 02:22 AM

Almost sounds like somebody dropped the pressure plate, bent the frame. This might cause problems trying to release the clutch evenly.

I'd take it back.

rsegriggy 07-29-2013 04:33 AM

It's a LUK clutch I got from Rock Auto. I did not replace the flywheel. I still have the old pressure plate. I will compare tonight when I get home. I'll call LUK and Rock Auto today and see what can be done. Already installed the pilot bushing, not really encouraged at the thought of having to get that out again to return the kit complete...

Interesting story, the old pilot bushing came out when I removed the transmission. That doesn't seem right....

The time now is 03:07 PM.