Pressure Plate bolt question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pressure Plate bolt question

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Pressure Plate bolt question

I had my flywheel resurfaced and I was checking the threads for the pressure plate bolts. I ran a tap thru each to make sure the threads were clean. I ran some of the bolts down to make sure everything was good when I noticed this:
[/IMG]
I have about an 1/8" between the flywheel and the bottom of the bolt head when the shoulder on the bolts bottom out. The pressure plate is also 1/8" thick. I didn't think to check this before I had the flywheel resurfaced so I don't know how much of a gap there was before. When I removed the pressure plate, 2 of the bolts where lose. I guess my question is do I need a new Flywheel? Another question I have is where can I find new pressure plate bolts? My bolts are 3/8" -16 X 7/8" all I see for sale are 1" long.

Thanks

Edit: no sure why I can't get the picture to load

Guy Smilie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would do a dry run to see if it clamps down. I suppose you could use a washer and loctite on the threads if in doubt.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
1949er
1986 CJ7 

It may have been cut more than one time , I just checked 2 that I have and one is at .900 from the clutch face to the crank face on the clutch side the other is at .800 - I won't use that one also I picked up a New One for a little over $80 but never measured it.
1949er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I would do a dry run to see if it clamps down. I suppose you could use a washer and loctite on the threads if in doubt.
I did a dry run and seems to clamp down but I'm not sure about torqueing it to 40 flbs. Washer might work
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949er View Post
It may have been cut more than one time , I just checked 2 that I have and one is at .900 from the clutch face to the crank face on the clutch side the other is at .800 - I won't use that one also I picked up a New One for a little over $80 but never measured it.
My guess is it was turned down before. What was your source for the new flywheel?
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
1949er
1986 CJ7 

O'reilly's , It's made Offshore - Korea - but so far so good
1949er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949er View Post
It's made Offshore
Isn't almost everything?
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Some digging should yield a minimum thickness measurement for the flywheel.....if you had it turned somewhere they should know this and not turn to any thinner than that spec.

Hopefully you will not be revving it way up.........not to scare you, but in the hot rod world of high revs and heavy launches they have been known to come apart.......A flywheel is not something to be taken lightly and be skimped on......it can do some serious damages to you and the ride.

Normal everyday driving and wheeling should be fine......I would just be cautious of snorting it way up in the revs and dumping the clutch.....or redline runs thru the mud.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #9
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unretarded View Post
Some digging should yield a minimum thickness measurement for the flywheel.....if you had it turned somewhere they should know this and not turn to any thinner than that spec.

Hopefully you will not be revving it way up.........not to scare you, but in the hot rod world of high revs and heavy launches they have been known to come apart.......A flywheel is not something to be taken lightly and be skimped on......it can do some serious damages to you and the ride.

Normal everyday driving and wheeling should be fine......I would just be cautious of snorting it way up in the revs and dumping the clutch.....or redline runs thru the mud.
No revving going on. I'm aware of flywheels coming apart. In the 70's my friends GTO had one come apart. Took out the headers, fender wells, hood and left a nice size hole in the asphalt. Not to mention some stained seats. I was building a 69 Chevelle at the time and purchased a steel flywheel and steel bell housing!
Unread Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #10
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smilie View Post
No revving going on. I'm aware of flywheels coming apart. In the 70's my friends GTO had one come apart. Took out the headers, fender wells, hood and left a nice size hole in the asphalt. Not to mention some stained seats. I was building a 69 Chevelle at the time and purchased a steel flywheel and steel bell housing!

Good to know.......I get scared after seeing a few come apart and always try to caution people who do not know the dangers.

Sounds like you very familiar with what I am saying.......not something that ever gets forgotten.

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Washers Yes; LocTite No.

Using washers can get the screw "off the bottom," which will allow them to stretch under installation torque (tension) as they're supposed to. The elastic properties of the metal result in an interference fit that holds the screw in place. The increased the improved friction in the joint as assembeled, and the preloading of the screw - will provide a countering force that works against the screw trying to back out of the hotel

Brrmmmm

[Washers go between the screw head and the first part. How do you know how many to use? Run the screw into the assembly using figer strength only and tighten up with wwrecnh...
Unread Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Blue loc-tite is fine!
LG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.