Preparing for A 350 Chev, Questions Follow - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Preparing for A 350 Chev, Questions Follow

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Lamo!!!!

dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

You cannot run cams period in tbi without a chip retune , and even then they have the be mild. The tbi heads have the worst flow rates from GM if your after performance , try swapping on vortecs and a mild cam then play with the chip. thats my plan when I wear this stocker out , if I ever do I baby it
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Sorry to revive this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. The 350 has yet to be pulled from the truck, so I have no progress updates thus far. What I would like to know is how much trust can be put into the TH700 currently residing behind the tired 350. Both pieces have over 320,000 kilometers on them. I am interested to know because it turns out my dad is not quite willing to let the engine go to me yet. He wants the 350 rebuilt, then put back in front of the untouched TH700. I have a gut feeling this is a bad idea, due to the high mileage, (not to mention I want the darn engine for my CJ). I know these GM transmissions are tough units, but does there come a point where one should start to be weary of the remaining life of a TH700? Especially when put back behind a rebuilt performance oriented 350?

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

If you are goig to the trouble of rebuilding the engine with 320000 kilometers or close to 200000 miles on it kinda foolish to not rebuild the trans. Not saying it wont last just depends on what kind of life it has led and service done to it. Those are fairly easy transmissions to rebuild. There are several excellent step by step videos out there. As far as changing the engine to a carb there is no difference other than the angle of the center bolts on the intake, swapping in an HEI or dist of choice and water pump if not keeping the serpintine belt. Most aftermarket intakes are already slotted for the center bolts. If it has a roller cam just swap to hydraulic cam, lifters and pushrods. Like said before the heads will restrict you on what cam. I wouldnt go with anything more than like a Comp Cams 252 or 260 series. They will have a very slight idle and keep your Rpm closer to 8-1200 on low end and around 5000 top end. Over camming an engine just to here it will cause issues on stock engines. Carb size I would run a small 4bbl 5-600 cfm or run a good 2bbl. An engine with that many miles will likely have to be bored out, Heads reworked as well as everything else. Doubtfull but you might rering it but thats a gamble with how much work will be involved in the swap. For close to the same money why not opt for a HESCO head and cam for the 4.2?
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.