JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Preparing for A 350 Chev, Questions Follow (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/preparing-350-chev-questions-follow-1458399/)

Jeepkid1995 01-03-2013 04:30 PM

Preparing for A 350 Chev, Questions Follow

Hey all,
Winter has hit hard here in the Okanogan and my CJ 7 has been all bound up in the garage for the past month or so. The time seems appropriate to prepare to do my dream of swapping in a 350. I have done some research, but I have a few more questions for you all here on the forum.

To start, my dad has a '94 Silverado 1500 that is on the verge of death. Might not be a '94, I know he missed the Vortec by 1 model year. 320,000 km and the truck burns blue like crazy. I plan to pull this engine, and rebuild and adapt it to my T18. What I want to do is pull the engine from the truck, hopefully no machining of the cylinders is required. I plan to do a rebuild kit with all new pistons, rings, valves, etc. I want to put in the most aggressive cam there is, and headers. Really looking for that rumble.

I have spent a lot of time on Novak conversions and Chevy forums researching. I want to adapt this engine to a carb, and a computerless ignition system. As far as I know, to do this all I need is an different intake manifold, because the current one is set up for tbi, and a new distributor? What else am I missing? This is one area I have not been able to find a lot of info on. I plan to adapt it to my T18, replacing my rebuilt 258.

Which brings me to my next point, I spent a fair bit of cash rebulding my 258, it has about 10,000 km since the rebuild, is this engine worth anything to sell? Is there any sort of market for them?

I have and am doing research, but any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks

TxJeeper20 01-03-2013 05:09 PM

I used a 350 out of a 1991 2500 how about you go for TBI? you cant run the nasty cams as you can wit ha carb , but its way easier to let the engine do the tuning for cold weather

WSS 01-04-2013 01:04 AM

If you like the big cam and carb thing, go for a early stroker. Loads of torque and lots of parts available for them. I bet it would be about the same money and a lot less headaches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-TURN-K...d53e01&vxp=mtr

It has lots of HP, you could get away with less. I would figure 350HP would put a smile on your face. A well built early 350 SBC set up for torque would cheaper by a grand or so.

Just some food for thought.

WSS

AFRd_CJ5 01-04-2013 05:20 AM

Unless the sound is the absolute only thing you care about, putting in "most aggressive cam there is" is gonna run like poop. And I don't mean it just won't run as good as it could/should, you'll have driveability issues/etc. There are some HUGE lift cams out there for a SBC.

dg6772 01-04-2013 05:28 AM

He is right! If sound is what you want call competition cams, tell them what you have and what you want. They can help you pick the best cam for your application.

Matt1981CJ7 01-04-2013 05:38 AM

Jeepkid,

There is certainly is a market for running 258s, at least here in Colorado. My running 258, with 98K original miles, new Weber carb, and "Team Rushed" ignition brought $800. It was complete from fan to flywheel.

Good luck with your build.

Matt

Jeepkid1995 01-04-2013 09:01 AM

Okay, I guess I can clear up my reason for the swap. Putting in the 350 is not for the sound at all, but I do want that really low and sporadic rumble sound. So perhaps I should opt for the coolest sounding and the most drive-able cam. I am really looking for the guts that come with a 350 to turn 14 bolt axles when the time comes with possibly 37's. But that is another swap that is a long way off. As for buying a new and fully rebuilt engine, that is a far way off for me dollar wise. I was hoping I could pull the engine from the '94, and rebuild it without machining it and adapting it to a carb. But I honestly don't have an idea yet on how usable the engine will be. And I am still a little foggy on how to adapt this engine to a carb and computerless ignition. So if that is too hard a task, it may have to stay Tbi. This is all good insight, thanks, guys

swatson454 01-04-2013 09:43 AM

Getting the right cam that sounds nasty and makes strong torque won't be a problem. My concern is also how happy an older GM TBI would be trying to run it and just how much machine work is going to be needed on an engine with that many miles.

Shawn

Destr0 01-04-2013 10:07 AM

That many miles and rebuilding without machining would worry me- have the block tanked and bores honed or opened up .10 and know your new rebuild will give you a good 100K more miles.

I would keep the TBI and run a fairly aggressive cam and some nasty sounding mufflers- you will get a lot better drivability as well as better MPG with the TBI.

I have a 350 in my 81 CJ7 and it has a mild cam and straight pipes to dual cherry bombs and it turns heads and gets thumbs up from gearheads wherever I go. Unfortunately it also turns LEO heads but I have yet to get pulled over... They look at the Antique plates and just leave me alone.

dg6772 01-04-2013 12:04 PM

To convert to carburetor is no trouble you must drill the mounting holes in whatever intake you're going to use more vertically to match the engine. It sounds worse than it is; but tbi is more reliable and offers better mileage and more reliability on vertical inclines as it doesn't starve the engine of fuel. Obd1 systems are not hard to install and the latter obd2 systems have been used as well.

Jeepkid1995 01-04-2013 01:26 PM

Hmm, more great opinions and insight. Much appreciated, guys. So for a bit here I'm gonna forget about cams and exhaust. I have asked around to several mechanics and my auto shop teacher (I'm still in high school) about reusing the block without machining. The general consensus is that it will be useable without machining, but the build won't last near as long. I guess I will just have to wait until I disassemble the engine and have a look. The only reason I would not machine it is obviously cost, but I know it's worth it a thousand times over in the end.

As for Tbi vs carb, I can very clearly see the advantages of keeping the tbi on the engine. I have a soft spot for carbs, though. I really enjoy working on them, and there's a certain pride in having the one vehicle in the school parking lot without a computer. Seems like the better option to keep Tbi, though.

WhyJayPA 01-04-2013 01:37 PM

Carbed 400hp/400 ft lb 355 in mine. I love every second of it. TBI would be better for inclines however.

Elgin cam with .480 lift and .232 duration at .050

dg6772 01-04-2013 01:48 PM

I can relate!!!! It can be great to have something no one else's got or understand. Good luck!

yjtyler 01-04-2013 02:04 PM

You can either drill the 4 center holes out on an older style manifold or a little pricier option, buy a carb manifold for a tbi engine. This is what i did, bought a holly manifold.

WSS 01-05-2013 01:48 AM

I want to give another reason a carb might be the way to go in the near future:

After the "medusa effect" and Zombies are wandering the planet, your carburated vehicle may very well be the most desired vehicle in town as it will still be running when other computer controlled cars have been struck dead (LOL).

WSS

The time now is 10:37 AM.