Pre-Buy CJ5 questions..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pre-Buy CJ5 questions..?

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
GuessWho
1997 ZJ 

Pre-Buy CJ5 questions..?

Hey everyone, I'm a ZJ owner myself, so looking into the CJ's is new to me...

I've got a friend who is looking at a 1980 CJ5.
It's got a 304 V8, 4sp trans.

It does not have any top, so she would like to find a hardtop (and doors) as soon as possible if she purchases it. (winters get pretty cold out here, so a Hardtop is the preference at the moment).
Any suggestions on where to look? I did some quick searching and Acme hardtops seem to be popular, but it looks like they frequently have issues lining up/sealing...?

As well as the top and doors, we know it needs new rear brakes. But other than that, were looking for suggestions on what to look out for. Obviously well be looking for normal wear and tare, or abuse, but you all know the 'main' issues you run into with your CJ5's so, any suggestions as to what to ask are welcome.

Thanks.

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Acme no longer exists, unless you find a good used one. The only company currently making CJ5 hardtops is Rally Tops, which used Acme as their basic template and made some improvements on the design: http://www.rallytops.com/jeep/cj5.html

They're not cheap though. There's frankly very little difference in temperature between a hard and softop, so take that into consideration.

I'm not aware of a 4-speed being a factory option behind a 304 in a CJ5 in 1980, so you might want to verify what the transmission is and whether it's been swapped.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
GuessWho
1997 ZJ 

Ouch, those are spendy...

my guess with those prices is she'd be hoping to find a decent used one.
How do the soft tops do with moisture? (be it rain or snow).

I'll be sure to mention to check on the Trans.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

A good soft top is fine. Most people find that hardtops are not great in high moisture either due to condensation on the inside. Jeep CJ's don't have a great HVAC system and usually the fogging on the inside is worse than the outside. Hardtops are also very top heavy, which also really changes the balance of the vehicle, an important consideration for a narrow track CJ5.

I'm willing to bet that a Bestop Supertop would suit her needs just fine. The biggest improvement she could make would be to upgrade the blower motor to the GM unit, which is described in detail on this forum. It increases the output of the heat/defrost significantly. With it you'll stay warm with a softop in even the coldest winters.
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
GuessWho
1997 ZJ 

Just told her what you said about moisture and such. Then we looked up the Bestop Supertop, looks good to us at $747.99 for the top plus 2pc doors. Ill look into the Blower next. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.