PowerSteps or PowerBoards on a CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PowerSteps or PowerBoards on a CJ?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Marca
1980 CJ7 

PowerSteps or PowerBoards on a CJ?

I'm restoring/restomodding a 1980 CJ-7 (which I will not be taking off-road) and I'm eyeing those power retractable running boards they make for Wranglers. I like the convenience and the fact that they hide away and help preserve the distinct style of the CJ. My suspicion is that they wouldn't be too much of a pain to mount to the CJ as opposed to a Wrangler, but I'm wondering if anybody else has done this before OR found a universal alternative?

Thanks for the help!

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
row684
1984 CJ7 

Good idea! I might have to do this to as my wife is height challenged at 4'10" and could barely get in before she got pregnant; now at 5 months she doesn't even try.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Marca
1980 CJ7 

row684,

At the moment, I'm thinking about taking regular steps or tube steps, mounting them in some kind of sliding bracket or track, and attaching a high-speed linear actuator to the back of that assembly to push and pull the step when the door is opened. My guess is I'll have something for about one third the cost of a PowerStep system. Any thoughts?

BTW, these are the actuators I'm considering: http://www.firgelliauto.com/default.php?cPath=114

Marca
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
row684
1984 CJ7 

Looks like it should work. What would you mount it to? There isn't a whole lot very stable under there besides the frame, at least on mine. Lol

Might be a little difficult getting the swing down motion figured out with the actuator while still being stable enough to hold a persons weight... Maybe a bar coming down in each corner of the step attach the actuator in the back to push it down the actuator wouldn't need a very long throw or to be very strong for that; to save some money. I'm thinking 6-7" throw?

I'm no engineer by any means though so I could be completely wrong!
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bestop , nerf bar , step , step rails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.