power steering vs. manual steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power steering vs. manual steering

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-26-2004, 06:19 AM   #1
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

power steering vs. manual steering

I just got the jeep running and I finally was able to pull it out under its own power. What I am seeing is still quite a bit of effort to turn the 33X15X12.5 mud meats even though I converted to power steering.

Since I have never really driven a Jeep with these size tires, I guess I am wondering how much effort usually is required to turn the tires as a stand still as well as how do I know if the power steering is even working? I have the reservoir hooked up, fluid is in it and the belt is spinning it.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
OKJeepin

I too just completed a power steering conversion on mine, I have at the moment a set of 33x12.5x15 Super Swampers on it and I can turn the wheel with one hand easily, and thats with the hubs locked in and a lockright locker in the front.
When I first got it all hooked up, I could not hardly turn it, found the pump to be bad, replaced it and it works great now.
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Knight6

Should turn very easy lock to lock with your hand open palm against the steering wheel. If you have to grab and tug or pull its not working right.

By the way, one of the best mods I ever did. I still remember the guys on the trail heckling me everytime I was on an obstacle yelling out "Power steering's Cheap!" as I was muscling through the rocks with 31's. I have 35's now and they turn with no effort.
Chevy 5.7L Vortec, Ford T-18 with granny-low 1st
37x14.00 Iroks, Warn 9K lb winch,
Metal Fusion tube fenders,full cage frame tie-in, +++
Knight6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

How did you tell that the pump was bad? Mine is tough to turn, but there is no indicatoin of seizing or anything. How can I test this to see if I have air in the lines or something? If there is air in the lines, would that cause issues of not working properly?

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 04-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #5
CSP

Did you bleed out the system or just dump fluid in it and go? Have you bothered to check the fluid level since the install?

Jack it up so the front tires are off the ground. Keep the cap off and add fluid til it's full with the engine running. Slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while keeping the fluid level full. If you have foam, it's from air being pumped out. Repeat until no more foam is made, no more groaning noises are made, and the fluid level stays full.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2004, 04:39 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I installed it, poured fluid in it, and that was about it. I have added more fluid off and on since the install, but the motor has been running many times since then.

I will try what you say, but there is no noise whatsoever coming out of it. It appears to be working in all facets, but it is extremely hard to turn the wheel...

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 04-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #7
CSP

My guess is you burned up the pump by not bleeding it out properly and keeping the level where it should have been before driving it.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
Eddo

Just did a power steering conversion and had the same problem. Seemed harder to turn with the conversion. Pulled the return hose and it was just barely slowly flowing out. Not the 1.25 GPM it is rater for. Replaced the pump and worked like a charm. Almost turns too easly now. However, the seal between the reservoir and the pump is leaking pretty bad now. Going to see if I can pull the pump and put it in the other reservoir with the broken pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.