power steering temporary fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power steering temporary fix

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-24-2003, 06:04 PM   #1
toastdfunk

power steering temporary fix

I recently blew out the pressure hose in my power steering system. Can anyone suggest a temporary fix so that I can drive the jeep approximately 50 miles to a shop? It's an '82 cj7 with a 258 and smog. Thanks.

toastdfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
CSP

Get a new hose, some power steering fluid and change it out yourself. Other than that no temporary fix will hold up to the pressure exerted on that hose.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
toastdfunk

Can you suggest a solution to loosening a nut with 22 years of non movement? I'm working in a very tight spot on the lower pressure hose attachment.
toastdfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Feel free to drop the box if you need more room. Also, if you don't think you can loosen the nut without rounding it off, cut the steel hose above the nut(since the hose is bad anyway) and use a socket or box end wrench.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
CJMONEYPIT

remove the pump belt and drive it with manual steering. It's a bear around town, but once you get moving it's not bad at all
CJMONEYPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
DaRaidz

Just went through this about 2 weeks ago. I have posted some info on my repair (you can search by user name) the lower bolts on the steering box are a major pain. I ended up taking the bolts out of the inside of the fenders and then the lower body mount bolt that holds the frame to the body under the front bumper. This allowed me to raise the radiator and grill enough to work from the front. The ONLY way I could get the bolt loose was to finally use vice grips. I went ahead and changed both hoses since I decided I didn't ever want to do it again. Good luck bleeding the air from the lines. I still can't get mine to work 100% right....but I haven't had much time to work on it lately. Do the job yourself and save about $150-$200 for other mods.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.