Power steering question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power steering question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-10-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
CJ Fanatic

Power steering question

I'm coverting my CJ from manual to power steering. Everything has gone smooth until now. I bought a steering coupler kit to fit the power steering box instead of replacing the entire shaft. My question is, how in the world do you install the new coupler boot onto the shaft without ripping it? I am pretty frustrated over this should be simple task. Thanks in advance.

1977 CJ5, '75 258, Motorcraft 2150 carb, HEI dizzy, BDS 2.5" suspension, 3/4" Daystar Rock Krusher Greasable shackles, M.O.R.E. steering brace, Flaming River steering shaft, Tie rod flip, Yukon AMC20 axle kit, 1.5" Trail Sport wheel spacers, 15x10" Black Cragar soft 8s w/ 33" Yokohama Geolander MTs, Goodridge SS brake lines, Classic Tube stainless hard lines, YJ power brake with front disc upgrade (had 4 wheel drums)
CJ Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
CSP

Very carefully. It will stretch enough to go over the pins. Make sure that it's warm and that will help prevent tearing it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #3
K5QM

Re: Power steering question

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Fanatic
I'm coverting my CJ from manual to power steering. Everything has gone smooth until now. I bought a steering coupler kit to fit the power steering box instead of replacing the entire shaft. My question is, how in the world do you install the new coupler boot onto the shaft without ripping it? I am pretty frustrated over this should be simple task. Thanks in advance.
A little liquid on the inside or the boot ends will help.
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 03:27 PM   #4
CJ Fanatic

Thanks! I figured it was a one shot deal and I didn't want to mess it up.

1977 CJ5, '75 258, Motorcraft 2150 carb, HEI dizzy, BDS 2.5" suspension, 3/4" Daystar Rock Krusher Greasable shackles, M.O.R.E. steering brace, Flaming River steering shaft, Tie rod flip, Yukon AMC20 axle kit, 1.5" Trail Sport wheel spacers, 15x10" Black Cragar soft 8s w/ 33" Yokohama Geolander MTs, Goodridge SS brake lines, Classic Tube stainless hard lines, YJ power brake with front disc upgrade (had 4 wheel drums)
CJ Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.