Power steering question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power steering question

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
popeyefireman
1980 CJ7 

Power steering question

K, so I did a 4.3 v6 conversion and I'm at the point where I'm putting everything back on the engine. So I have a cooktops question for those that have done the v6 or chevy 350 v8 conversion. Do I use the power steering pump from the original jeep or do I use a chevy power steering pump. I wasn't sure if there would be pressure differences. I know the old pump needs replaces because prior to the build there was no power steering and the master cylinder set up seemed ok so I'm guessing it's the pump. Below is the specs if that helps.

Chevy 4.3 liter v6 with vortex
4 brl carb intake with carb
Th350
Dana 300
3 core aluminum rad with trans cooler
No air conditioning

Let me know if you have any questions.

popeyefireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
petey156
1977 CJ5 

run the chevy pump, jeep used general motors steering pump, probally the same pump different pulley.....
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

yes keep the one on the 4.3...

just need to make sure you have a PS gearbox that is set up for o rings (newer) and not flairs (older).
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
petey156
1977 CJ5 

He could get custom lines from Napa. They are usually cheaper..
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
popeyefireman
1980 CJ7 

I'm pretty sure it's flairs on a 80 cj7 box. Info on the napa ones would be helpful
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyefireman View Post
I'm pretty sure it's flairs on a 80 cj7 box. Info on the napa ones would be helpful
Your correct for 1979 back. 1980 forward its o-ring
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Falcon_CMH

These guys have some cool upgrades so you can use the o-ring: http://www.agrperformance.com/Off-Ro...erformance.htm

Good reference thread here too: http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ct-cj7-agr.htm

P.S. I am looking at upgrading my steering is how I found this stuff.
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
popeyefireman
1980 CJ7 

My gear box is good. I'd rather spend the money on something else. Like a good tbi setup
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Falcon_CMH

Sure I gotta do something there too myself sooo many upgrades to do weeeeeeeeeeeee!
Unread 10-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

wow dont know how hard it would be to bring up to speed but you could probally get an injected manifold from a blazer and get yourself a stand alone ECU and you'd be set....

THe guys out on s10forum were a big help when it came to some of my 4.3 problems...
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
popeyefireman
1980 CJ7 

I have the tbi manifold. Need the FBI and computer with harness. Pick and pull should take care of it I would think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.