power steering pump pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power steering pump pulley

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-10-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
jeepdad40

power steering pump pulley

I pulled my power steering pump off to put a new one on. I can't get the pulley off for nothin. I used a 3 arm pulley puller and it just started bending the pulley. Any ideas? This is a factory pump on a 304. . Thanks!!

jeepdad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 04:16 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Re: power steering pump pulley

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepdad40
I pulled my power steering pump off to put a new one on. I can't get the pulley off for nothin. I used a 3 arm pulley puller and it just started bending the pulley. Any ideas? This is a factory pump on a 304. . Thanks!!
They make a special puller that works good - it is available at most any auto parts place for about $20
Unread 11-10-2002, 04:42 PM   #3
jeepdad40

hey Oldjeepguy thanks for the reply .how is this puller different from the 3 arm puller that I've tried? I'll gladly pay 20 bucks to get this stubborn s.o.b. off! Have you taken any power steering pump pulleys off? I swear if it's gonna be an easy job it'll be a pain in the butt for me.!!!! I can turn a 20 minute job into 2 days!
jeepdad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
55-willys

if you notice on the pulley right at the center where it fits on the shaft youll see a recessed area on the pulley around the center, thats where the pulley puller grabs. so your hooking around the center and pulling it right in the center. if you takeit to checker auto, or auto zone, they have the puller and will do it for free.
Unread 11-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #5
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepdad40
hey Oldjeepguy thanks for the reply .how is this puller different from the 3 arm puller that I've tried? I'll gladly pay 20 bucks to get this stubborn s.o.b. off! Have you taken any power steering pump pulleys off? I swear if it's gonna be an easy job it'll be a pain in the butt for me.!!!! I can turn a 20 minute job into 2 days!
I've actually done (2) CJ's and (3) XJ power steering pump replacements this year. The proper puller hooks into the groove in the pully center and exerts force near the shaft. Trust me, you probably won't get it off without the correct puller.
Unread 11-11-2002, 09:12 AM   #6
Crash&Burn

Another option would be heat, heat the part with the groove and then let it cool down and try again..
If still no luck heat it again and try while still hot.......

Correct puller still the best way.....

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
scottahicks

Hey man I just did mine this week, the only way to do it is with the correct puller, if you and to make it easier heat it up a little and spray some wd-40 on it while its still hot then pull it off just dont burn yourself OH and dont use the crapy installer that come in the box try to barrow the installer from a shop good luck,, its a workout

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.