power steering hoses are impossible!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power steering hoses are impossible!!!

JK Front Axle TrussARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
clubbs

power steering hoses are impossible!!!

So I needed to replace the power steering hose on my 82 cj7 this weekend. I figure it should take about an hour... well you can't hardly get to the thing and the fitting is rusty and seemingly imobile. So After nearly rounding off the only two flats I can get a wrench on I decide to just take the steering box off the frame instead of rounding off the head. So the two come out real nice on the crossmember and the three on the bottom ring off the heads then I still can't get a wrench on the fitting so I cut the line off just above the fitting so I can get the 12 point closed end on and give it some good effort to pull the points right off the fitting . Now I have to remove it completly so I can get a pipe wrench on it and then I have to take the drivers side spring off to drill out and re-tap the three bolts that broke off. Only in a Jeep

clubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

At first sign of trouble, I pulled the radiator to get a better grip. Shortly after, I bought the aftermarket PS mount and went through the same crap you had to.....

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Only in a Jeep is right. Don't expect this to be the only time you run into this sort of problem. We'll be here to help when you do, though
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Yeah, so far I have had heck with shackle hangers, power steering componets (all of 'em), don't even wanna talk about the bumper bolts..... Seems like any water at all and 20 years, you may as well just plan on a torch as a weapon of choice for upgrades!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
wm69

Yeesh, I did the same thing with twisting off the steering box mounting bolts. Had the side of the frame cut out, dropped some bolts down through the holes, tacked them in place, and then welded up side of frame, so now I have threads pointing DOWN out of the frame so I can clean them up before attempting to back off the nut......

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
kjcj7
1977 CJ7 

I had a hard time on mine, too. Had to pull the radiator to get at it Got lucky and got it off before it stripped, tho. Then come to find out the fitting on the other end was different on the new hose. Ordered hoses from 3 different parts stores, all the same. Then no one had any adapters to fit.... Ended up buying a new ps pump! Gotta love it!
kjcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.