Power steering hose(s) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power steering hose(s)

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Power steering hose(s)

Hey all,
Found out yesterday that my power steering hose or hoses have sprung a leak. Took me a while, but there was an odd fluid all over the driver side of the engine bay. After some cleaning and with the engine running, I found a small amount of fluid building up in the area below:

Anything special I need to know about this part - is it over the counter, do I need to special order a quality part, what am I going to run into when I try to replace it?

Thanks a ton!

walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Nevermind, the search function is your friend

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wr...ement-1103215/
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Take that hose with you to NAPA to be sure you get the CORRECT fittings.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Good advice That'll be my plan when I get around to it tomorrow.
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Make sure you get some FRESH, PS fluid.
You might as well change the return line also ......
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Yep, my plan is to go through that thread above to a "T." Well, maybe I'll skip the pulling of the radiator part...but maybe I'll stick with it. I'm pretty sure I have to re-seat my thermostat so may as well drain the coolant...again :/
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

So far I've managed to get the return hose off the hardline, the pump off the block, and the high pressure line disconnected from everything. Next up: seeing if our local parts store has the high pressure line!

so far - no need to pull the radiator. although the brace connecting the hard lines to the frame was tricky to get off, and I imagine will be tricky to get back on...
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Also - I did not need an 18mm wrench to get the pump side of the HP hose off, but I did need it to get the gear box side off.
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

So I've had to pull the radiator - major pain because I just replaced it and all the hoses, and had to cut the hoses to get it loose.

My question is, I finally managed to get the high pressure hose seated and threaded...but it only threads about half way. Is this normal? Or should I spend another couple hours trying to reseat it? When it threads, it threads easily, but it ain't going any further than half way.
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like the fitting is not correct.
Did you take the OEM hose with you to confirm fitting sizes and threads when you bought the new one?
LG
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

I dunno, might not be a problem. There were definitely threads showing on my lines before I removed them. It may not have been half the fitting but probably easily 1/4-1/3.

If you can't see any problem with the threads on the fitting where it stops I'd say it's probably ok.

But as LG mentioned, make sure it's the correct type of fitting and that the parts monkey didn't give you a SAE flare line when you needed a metric o-ring or vice versa.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

As best I could tell, the fittings were the same - both looked like the pic below, but I can't be sure on the thread size. The old went out with the trash the other day after I compared visually.

Note this pic is from a cherokee part, but the ends looked the same:

I'm going to head home in a bit, back it out a few turns, then try to pop it a little in case it wasn't threading correctly. I'll reattempt the threading then.
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
CSP

Those ends are right for an o-ring box, which you should have if it's original.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

With the fitting style confirmed I doubt the thread size is wrong. It must be a metric fitting and if the size were wrong it wouldn't go in as far as you have it. Snap a pic of the hose as it is before you loosen it again. That should help determine if it's seated properly. The fitting that goes into the steering gear is about twice as long as the one on the other end that goes into the pump. So I'm still thinking you're ok.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I'll post up in a couple of hours on it. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.