Power steering groans! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power steering groans!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
HMS
1983 CJ7 

Power steering groans!

My power steering started to groan when making turns lately. Removed old fluid and replaced with new and problem remains. Seems to get worse the longer the drive or the hooter it gets. Any ideas what's wrong?

83 CJ7
258 bone stock

HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Most of the time, a groan is caused by air trapped in the system. I would say that it's had ample time to work its way out. I would look into replacing the pump. The groan you hear is cavitation inside the pump. They are fairly easy to replace. If you don't already have the correct tool for removing/installing the pulley, I suggest buying one. I "rented" one (same cost, was brand new) and never returned it. I have used it countless times on my vehicles, friends vehicles, etc.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
SJ85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

If you buy a new pump to replace the old one no problem, but if you get one from a donor vehicle just remember that 1980 to 1985 are metric pre-1980 are standard threads on the two bolts that go into the pump body and the pressure hose.

Take it from me I found out the hard way :
85' CJ7, 258 I6, "Team Rush" Weber 38/MSD 6A, T-176 4-speed, twin-stick Dana 300, DANA 30 fore - AMC 20 aft with stock 2.73 gears, 31" tires, 8k winch, "Dirtworx" rear bumper/tire carrier. My Daily Drive, JustEmptyEveryPocket
SJ85CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
HMS
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just put in a new pump. Never had one go bad before.
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.