Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Power Steering and/or Coolant Leak?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Neuner-9R 
#1 ·
Would appreciate your help with identifying where this/these leaks are coming from. Was trying to get ready for a day trip on Saturday when it just started dripping while I had it idling. Even though it just started hitting the garage floor, after getting under there, it looks like it's been going on for a while and just now got worse. Just a simple bad water pump?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You have two leaks. One from the power steering and one from the hose clamp area. I'd say you have a pin hole leak on the radiator hose that suirts when it is under pressure. Tht yellow color indicates rusrt and coolant. I'd get a new hose and clamps and clean up the flange to make sure its got a good seal. Your power steering pump may have an O ring behind it that needs replaced.

#3 ·
Thanks -

I popped under later and was able to look up in there further. I think it's coming from the water pump weep hole but it's all coated on the outside around it and not a direct line from it so I'm wondering if you are right. Got a new pump ordered though. Hoping to have it all off tonight so I can see better.

Was wondering about the o-ring and if you can buy them separately or if you have to buy the hose to get it.

#4 ·
There is a small O-ring at the flair on the end of the pressure hose where it connects to the pump. That's probably where your leak is. It's also possible the hose itself may be leaking where the metal crimp holds the rubber hose.
If that doesn't do it, the problem may be the O-rings inside the reservoir (a large one that seals around the pump body and some smaller ones at the bolt holes between the pump body and the rear reservoir wall). You may need to pull the pump out and pop the reservoir housing off to access/replace those O-rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.