Power steering conversion into '71 CJ5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power steering conversion into '71 CJ5?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Power steering conversion into '71 CJ5?

I'm new to this site but have been into Jeeps for many years. I'm building my '71 CJ5 and am in the process of installing a power steering unit and tilt column. I have drawings for my mounting plate for the box and everything else needed to install, but I can't find pictures on any site of the installation. Has any one here done it or posted pix's? Thanks

my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might want to check around on www.earlycj5.com. Lots of Pre-72 info there.

I seem to remember Advance Adapters selling a Saginaw Steering Conversion Bracket a few years ago.. I think it had a pic or two of the setup.. www.advanceadapters.com

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

That's were I got the drawings for the bracket, no pix's, checked AA already ( the won't give pix's unless you buy their bracket) but thanks for the info. Terry
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Geeee's I'm really disapointed with this site!!!!! How many members do you have on this forum? Not one of you have ever done a power steering conversion on a '71 CJ5 or even knows of one? This is SAD, are you fabricators or just talk about it? I have the drawings, need the pix's! I've helped so many people across the "wheeling nation" with OBDII conversions on older Jeeps etc. and nothing on a power steering set-up on "my mid-life crisis" KINDA SUCKS. (sorry for the frustration) Terry
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Here are a few pics for your. The bracket will work on the cast iron and aluminum intake style manifolds. If you use for header you will need to cut the bracket that mounts on the manifold to clear the #1 exhaust tube. I also welded a tab on the back side 1x3" because the ps bracket like to crack. The Borla inst and specs do not warn you of this clearance problem. I also use a piece of Threaded NPT Galvanized Pipe from the lumber store, $1 and cut to lenght for the Intake Manifold Stud. That way you can tighten the top part of the braket and not bend it. Problem Manifold Stud if overtightened the braket bends and the pump can have a tilt and jump belts. Easy upgrade and worked well.

Regards,
Fred

I also found posted that the newer style power steering pump bracket is curved, in the cut area, to clear the header.

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

If you look for the old AMC Cars, Concard, Eagle they have 258 engines and often have the power steering. Have some caution there is a difference between the early 70's PS about 1974 is the change in the pump. The will be cheap and easier to find.

If you need the steering box pics and mount I may have one or two of those.
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-jeep-earl View Post
Geeee's I'm really disapointed with this site!!!!! How many members do you have on this forum? Not one of you have ever done a power steering conversion on a '71 CJ5 or even knows of one? This is SAD, are you fabricators or just talk about it? I have the drawings, need the pix's! I've helped so many people across the "wheeling nation" with OBDII conversions on older Jeeps etc. and nothing on a power steering set-up on "my mid-life crisis" KINDA SUCKS. (sorry for the frustration) Terry
WOW. Well I did one. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but other things come up. Can't post Pict's, but the installation is pretty straight forward. Tack weld or clamp the plate/box to the inside of the left frame rail and align everything the way you want it. Make sure you leave enough room for your hoses and bell coupler. I mounted mine so the tie rods were parallel to one other. Drill the frame rail oversize where you want the pump mount bolts and weld in some spacing tubes. Your other option is to install the mount bolts inside the frame rail on the back of the mount plate. I liked the extra beef of the tubes, as they tied the outer frame rail to the box mount. Weld the plate then install a gusset from the plate perpendicular to the bottom of the rail. Mount the box. You might have to space the box slightly off the plate. You can use large nuts to do this. I cut my steering shaft about two inches off the bottom of the floor and installed a couple of brass washers and a U joint. Then I tied the box to the U joint using 3/4" keyed stock. If you try the earlycj5 website, I believe jayhawkclint has a writeup and some Pict's that might help.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You will have to find brackets off early Buick 225/231/350 engine with V belt drive. Double check to insure the head/ block holes line up. I used an early pump, however, I suggest you find one with the later and more common Saginaw. Don't forget to get the bottom pulley if yours is a single V. There is little room between the front clip and the box so insure you leave enough room when mounting.
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Mr Earl,

One last thing, This is the 4th July Weekend. Many folks away.

Try some of that easy Calf Living.

Fred

Quick look to quadratec will show the date change if you need it.
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Thanks for the replies and pictures. I have a P/S pump and brackets off a Buick 350 which bolts right to the V6, so that's not a problem. Also have a Saginaw 4 bolt box, drawings of the bracket and all the metal cut to make it. What I need is pictures of the location and angle for the mounting place of the box on the frame. If I run the intermediate shaft under the front x-member the box looks like it will get ripped off on a rock. I've read it's not necessary to notch the cross member for clearance. I'll be using an XJ tilt wheel and changing the under the floor master cyl to the firewall with power brakes. It's driving me nutz! I named the Jeep "Earl" (can't get any more redneck than that). Thanks again for the replies and pix's, Terry
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

I still haven't found pictures of the P/S BOX mounting location on the '71 CJ5 frame, any one have any, thanks.
Unread 07-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
ninthclowd
1973 CJ5 

I'm trying to do the conversion on a 73 and was wondering if anyone knew where you could get a pulley that converts the harmonic balancer to a double groove? Or if anyone knows of some alternative way to power the steering pump on a v-belt drive?
Unread 07-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

Is your steering box located in front of the forward cross member and does the steering intermediate shaft go under the x member. Do you have a tilt column and can you post pix of them for me? If you have a 258 you should be able to find a double pully at a bone yard from an International scout or a CJ or YJ up to about 1989.
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

I really appreciate the help, but, has nobody done this? I know Jeepdaddy2000 was my best responce as he has done it, but I think with the '71 BUS steering wheel (GONE), mine is being converted to an XJ tilt column, Please HELP!!!!
Unread 07-22-2008, 05:08 AM   #15
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I'm really sorry I can't post picts. You might want to try earlycj5.com. I know those folks have some write ups on your conversion and I'll bet there is some info on your tilt column. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Scott

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.