power steering/brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power steering/brakes

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-26-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
Southern Comfort

power steering/brakes

have just picked up my cj-6--it is a 74 w/ 304 and a 3 speed--am am interested in installing power steering and brakes--anybody had any experiences with these installs good or bad please let me know--thanks

Unread 06-26-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
cjdriver

I have used the Off Again Navajo booster to convert my CJ to power brakes. It works awesome. You get a bigger double diaphram booster than stock, and then you use a J series truck master cylinder and they are strong. It works great, I can lock up my 36" swampers with it. You can get info from <a href="http://www.mepco4x4.com" target="_blank">www.mepco4x4.com,</a> you might have to mail them, I dont think its on their site.

As for steering I cant help you there. But you should be able to scavange the parts from just about any CJ cause the steering design on yours is similar to all the late model CJs. Just get the brackets and stuff from a CJ with a similar engine as yours and you should be golden. Put like a AGR box and pump in there and you should be in good shape. Shouldnt be too hard.
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:53 AM   #3
Southern Comfort

couldn't get the link to come up for mepco--anybody with any ideas on how to contact them?

thanks!
Unread 06-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #4
cjdriver

Sorry the comma screwed it up. <a href="http://www.mepco4x4.com" target="_blank">www.mepco4x4.com</a> and their 800 number is 1-800-388-5337.
Unread 06-27-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Hey Southern Comfort, Welcome to the few, the CJ-6 owners. I too am doing the power upgrades to my 6. Mine is a 75 model with the 258 6 cyl. That's neat you got a 304 model. Does yours have a tailgate, my doesn't and I haven't seen another one with out.
Unfortunatly, my fathers car was totaled out and we bought it back from the insurance company. What I found was the power steering box from the 73 Pontiac Grandville was almost a direct match too the power boxes used in the CJ's. The difference is the CJ units have the numbers 76 cast into the housing. This one doesn't because it's a bigger bodied unit. The mounting holes are a dead match and the splines on the steering shift are a match, so is the over all length of both the units body and the pitman arm. The tierod hole is correct and the arm has a slight drop to it where the CJ arm is straight. The only different is one of the hose fittings (return line I think), but there is an adaptor for that. The few times I drove the Pontiac, the steering was incredibly easy to turn (ie very powerful for such a big car). You could almost blow on the wheel and it would turn. This should be a great box. The pump is the same too, but I'm getting the proper brackets to fit it to the 258. I'm also swapping in wide track CJ axles to gain disc brakes and a wider track width as well. I haven't figured out the power brakes yet, but I do have the Pontiac set up in case I can use any parts from it.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.