Power Steering Box Port Connections - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power Steering Box Port Connections

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
8valve
1997 ZJ 

Power Steering Box Port Connections

I need to identify the supply (high pressure) and return line on the Power Steering box on a 1982 CJ7. I marked them on paper when I took the CJ7 apart over a year ago and cant find my notes. The Hayanes manuel does not show the PS Box connections.

One connection is up front on the box, almost in line with the steering shaft. The other line is offset to the passenger side and back a ways from the front of the box. WHich port is Pressure to the box.

I am having new lines made up. I know the PS Box has two different size fittings, does anyone know the sizes of the fittings and which port they go on.

I tried searching, but with my 24.4K dial up, I am very limited in a search effort.

Thanks
8Valve

Toy Box; http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple
8valve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just did mine a couple weeks ago but am having a hard time remembering which one was which. I will say though that I was able to get the hoses from Napa as OEM replacements. Also, if I remember correctly the fittings on the PS box were the same size, the fitting for the pressure line on the pump was smaller. I'm sure someone will pipe up with the line placement.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Even though both lines take a 18mm flare wrench to install/remove, one line is smaller in thread size than the other so you can't mix them up.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
8valve
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I just did mine a couple weeks ago but am having a hard time remembering which one was which. I will say though that I was able to get the hoses from Napa as OEM replacements. Also, if I remember correctly the fittings on the PS box were the same size, the fitting for the pressure line on the pump was smaller. I'm sure someone will pipe up with the line placement.
I can not use OEM hoses. My CJ now has a B3.3 Cummins and I had to mount the PS Pump on the Passenger side. Thus my need for fitting size on the PS Pump.

8Valve

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

OK then, the pressure line will connect to the port that is more towards the front and passenger side of the gearbox. The pressure line also connects to the lower fitting on the power steering pump.

The return line will connect to the port that is more towards the rear and drivers side of the gearbox. The return line also connects to the upper fitting on the power steering pump.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
8valve
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
OK then, the pressure line will connect to the port that is more towards the front and passenger side of the gearbox. The pressure line also connects to the lower fitting on the power steering pump.

The return line will connect to the port that is more towards the rear and drivers side of the gearbox. The return line also connects to the upper fitting on the power steering pump.
Ok, Got it. Thank You very much

8Valve

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
CSP

A good hydraulic shop can take a stock hose, pull the fittings off of it and install them onto a hose that will fit your application.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.