Power steering box interchangeability - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power steering box interchangeability

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-18-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Power steering box interchangeability

I just finished changing my pitman seals in my '78 and I gotta say I wouldn't wish that he#& on anyone. What a pain!

Anyway, got ahold of a power box from an '82 to keep as a spare.
But my '78 uses compression style fittings and the '82 has "O" rings. Is there an adapter or do I need to get new hoses if I ever want to use it? Does the pump also have an "O" ring connection on the pressure side? Would I need to replace the pump also?
I've seen these advertised as fitting "76-86" cj's and it seems a bit misleading.

hfjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

from what i know you would need new hoses for that box the pump is the same as far as i know
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
CSP

NAPA has adapters to go from flare to oring and vice versa. The pump on the '82 has oring fittings also.

If you wanted to you could get hoses for an '82 and swap the fittings in the back of the pumps. You'll see on the back of the pump where the pressure line attaches that the fitting has a hex head on it that makes it removable. Take that fitting out of the '82 pump and install it into your '78 pump. Then both your box and pump use orings and '82 hoses will fit both.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 09:24 AM   #4
SirYoplait

I have the same pitman leak... So the rebuild isn't worth it ?
SirYoplait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
goody350s

im thinking about putting power steering on my 75
what is better o-ring or flare ftgs or does it matter
just curious
Unread 06-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #6
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks CSP. That's exactly the simple answer I wanted to hear. Didn't want to have to get a new pump and hoses.

As far as the pitman seals go, I would probably do it again. Especially after I had several hours invested in cleaning and painting mine. And $6.95 for seals vs. $169.00 + for a rebuilt box. There are 2 washers and 2 seals to replace. Had to carefully drill a hole in the washers and turn a long drywall screw in them. Then used a claw hammer to carefully pull them out. The seals however were another story. Drilled about 25 holes in them and tried to hook them with the tip of a screwdriver which I cut into a hook shape. They did not want to pull out. Ended up looking like ground hamburger packed in there. Finally after about 4hrs. of fluid dripping in my hair and face I pulled the box off and tossed it on the picnic table. Had them out about an hour later. You have to be really careful not to scratch the sides of the pitman housing or the pitman shaft or you will end up with a permanent leak, which defeats your efforts. The new seals went in easily and it doesn't leak yet but time will tell. Persistence is the key. Got my seal kit from www.rigidsteel.com.
hfjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.