Power Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power Steering

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 11-07-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
mau118

Power Steering

Does anyone sell a kit for my 77 cj5. It lacks power steering and I want to add it. I want to buy a kit that would include everything, if possible. Or would it be better to go junk-yardin?

mau118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
scottahicks

I just did mine with used parts I got off of ebay and some friends, I would have gone to the junk yard but its realy not hard to do once you have all the stuff, but as a hint,, once you get a good doaner pump with brackets and pulley find someone with the pulley puller and installer tools, spend the 40bucks and replace the pump innards I just did it yesterday, as long ad you can barrow the puller and installer for the pulley its not bad at all. the rest is just finding the right vehicles to pull the box, and the pump with brackets and pulleys from,, oh and ebay is a good option too, good luck if you want to know what I went through on mine send me a message

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2002, 04:12 PM   #3
55-willys

i put power steering from a 86 camero on my 55 M38-A1. but i have a couple of friends that have 77s and a 78 cj. the camero box is the same bolt pattern. i also put a box from a transam on a 73 cj, bolted right up. id go to the wrecking yard and get the box and steering shaft, the one that goes to the column, then you can join the steering shaft to your shaft using a universal joint, you may find this in the wrecking yard also. you can also get the power steering pump. the hardest part be finding, or making the bracket to hold the pump to the motor. then you can find or have the high pressure line made up. the return line isnt a big deal, just a hose. i pretty sure any kit you find is going to cost you a small fortune. rebuilt power steering boxes are double what a camero box is. plus with the camero box you get quick ratio, no that doesnt mean your going to turn so quick your going off a cliff. i went from the factory old style cj, with the bellcrank to a quick ratio power and love it. wish id done it years ago. i think if you go to the wrecking yard for your parts, they will cost you about $50.00 total, in all, you may be into the whole setup for about $200.00 tops
Unread 11-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
Lujan

What is the advantage of using the steering box in the 77-79 CJs?

Thanks

Bert
Lujan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2002, 05:44 PM   #5
55-willys

the advantage of using what steering box. the jeep one or the GM one. there both power steering boxes, except one is quick ratio. you turn it alot less to make the tires turn. hell i think an old caddys, mid 70s - 80s steering box has the same bolt pattern. there just as heavy duty as the jeep box. you got to figure there steering the front end on a camero, thats heavier than a jeep. the main advantage would be the cost. like a porsche i have, if the part # cross-references to VW then its half price. like i said ive had friends that went from manual steering to power using the camero or firebird or almost any other GM car box and loved it. and no problems. there jeeps were used for a lot of heavy duty four wheeling, they just werent highway queens.
Unread 11-09-2002, 08:00 PM   #6
Lujan

So, the GM will steer it quicker. Will this be a good up grade when going to taller tires?

This is good to know. My old CJ7 is to the point where it will need replacing some of these parts and their parts are getting harder to find.

Thanks for the tip.

Bert
Lujan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2002, 08:03 PM   #7
55-willys

well im running 33/12.5s on my jeep, and have no problems. my buddy with the GM box was running 34/14.5s and never had a problem.
Unread 11-09-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
55-willys

the camero and pontiac boxes are 2&1/2 - 2&3/4 turns from all the way left to all the way right. the stock box might take 4 or 4&1/2 turns of the steering wheel to turn the wheel from right to left. thinking about what you said, your right, it makes it easier for four wheeling.
Unread 11-09-2002, 08:26 PM   #9
scottahicks

the awnser is best givven in the for of a question,,, what are you going to be using your jeep for?????? if you are going to be only 4x4ing then get a high speed box like 2 1/2 turn if your going to be doing a lot of on road as well as off the stock 4 turn is a better chice because the steering it a little more forgiving with a little hand movement,, jeeps tend to wander as it is, I personaly would rather have the 4 turn for the on road stability but what are you going to use it for????

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2002, 08:36 PM   #10
55-willys

thats was i original fear, was i going to over-steer. but like anything elese you get use to it. i remember the joke picture in the four wheel drive mag. showing a jeep on its side, the caption was, i knew i shouldnt of installed a quick ratio box. but you get use to it as soon as you drive it. i have a couple of porsches, 924 & 911, and never have any problem over-steering them. and my daily driver is a 75 chevy 3/4 ton truck, now theres a difference! like i said i went from the stock bell-crank set-up to a power steering quick ratio set-up and it works great for me, and no i dont drive my jeep everyday, maybe once a month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.