Power Problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power Problems...

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 05-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
scamaro355
1978 CJ7 

Power Problems...

ok let me just get you the history of whats going on....im working on a 78 cj7 it had a 360 with the t-150 3 speed and dana 20 transfer, 3.73 gears with 35's... well the 360 broke a rod and ruined the block...so I built a sbc 350 to replace it, nothing fancy a basic stock rebuild went with a summit cam 214/224 duration @ .050 and lift of .442/.465...bolted that to a th350 and an np205 transfer. Well got everything in engine has a real good tune on it...but it is a DOG....just no power, from a dead stop im lucky if it will even chirp the tires..i mean the other combo would almost hang itself up on wet roads...from a roll. I've done everything i know how to do, its driving me crazy...could it be that the transmission ratio's are causeing this?...

scamaro355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like carb jetting, and/or ignition timing/curve; need more info.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
scamaro355
1978 CJ7 

im running a edelbrock 650 its nice and snappy...dont seem to rich or lean. As far as the timeing goes im running 12 degrees base then i have it set to get total timeing by 3000 and the total timing is set at 35 degrees
scamaro355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Kind of reminds me of my first car, you are bringing back fond memories...

73 Nova
350 w/corvette heads and huge cam! (ERSON .530 lift and 318 duration, hyd.)
10.5:1 compression
650 DP with Performer intake

I stuck a 3 speed into it to get the RPMs up, it would smoke all 3 gears. I decided to go back automatic to stay consistent at the track, but my "seat of the pants" power dropped off considerably, but I figured out my stall speed wasn't jiving with my cam/heads/compression combo. I used a 3200 rpm stall converter to get the performance I wanted (rough to park the car afterwards). I went from an average 14 with the standard to a consistent 12.6 - 1/4 mile with the TH350, not too shabby for a 16 yr old on a limited budget (84). That was with a single legged 3.73 or so rear. On a side note, That was nowhere near 1 mile above sea level, that was in Wichita, KS. I can't take anything away from those guys getting power at this altitude.

Not saying that is what you need for your combo, but some food for thought.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 05-11-2009 at 11:50 PM..
Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.