Power Lok or Auburn? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power Lok or Auburn?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-27-2002, 01:47 PM   #1
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Power Lok or Auburn?

I have a Dana 44 rearend that I plan to install on my 80 CJ-5. Both Auburn and Power Lok limited slips are available for the 44. Which unit is better? I don't need a locker.

80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2002, 02:56 PM   #2
Liberty-4-All

Don't forget the Detroit Ture Trac LSD. It has no clutches to wear out. <a href="http://www.4x4review.com/products/drive_train/truetrac.asp" target="_blank">Detroit TrueTrac LSD</a>
ARMOR, ARMOR, ARMOR
LLL=15.75"
L.O.S.T.member #000001

Visit www.KJJeep.com

I got your Grocery Getter Hangin'
Liberty-4-All is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I understand the Tru Trac is only warranted for use with 32-inch tires maximum. I know that when used within it's limitations, it performs excellently. I plan to use 33" tires and understand that the Power Lok and Auburn are both robust units. I'm trying to get a feel for which is more effective and the advantages or disadvantages of either. I don't want the harshness of a locker. I've had my share of that. Thanks for your input.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2002, 11:30 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

I can't tell you much about the Auburn, but I am a firm believer in the Powr Lok LS. They work well,are SUPER strong,and are inexpensive to rebuild.I've run one in my 27A front axle for 10 years and never had a problem.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2002, 03:46 PM   #5
GEARGUY

I agree on the PowerLok both for strength and ease of rebuild (if ever needed). I understand that Reider Racing handles them since Precision Gear started making them about 10 years ago. Dana doesn't make them for the 44 or 60 anymore. Remember that the model 44 has case breaks (3.73 and less) and (3.92 and greater) .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.