Power Distribution Box - from doner vehicle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power Distribution Box - from doner vehicle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Power Distribution Box - from doner vehicle

Howdy all!
Now that I'm gaining further knowledge about relays and such (lift of the lynch lid to JeepHammer) I'm considering cleaning up my fenderside mounted electrics. Consolidating my fuses and relays into a box that won't take up too much real estate on the fender is what I'm looking at. My current setup;

Has anyone installed a PDB from another vehicle? Pros and Cons?

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
row684
1984 CJ7 

I picked one up from O'Reillys that was about half as long. It was a universal one, I had to order it but it was like 2 day delivery.

Give me a sec see if I can find it.

I've found a pic, it's a BWD part but I can't find the number.
image-2686997091.jpg  
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
timgr
1975 CJ6 

Waytek has some nice weather-tight power distribution modules. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/waytek/catalog226/#/118
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Waytek has some great looking stuff but my relays are full sized old (1990's) style;

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Check out 4L and MPFI swap threads. Lots of guys use the PDC from the donor YJ/XJ. I will be as well when the time comes but it'll be sitting on my shelf for a while yet. The YJ/XJ ones are pretty big and cumbersome compared to what you have now but they have plenty of relays and fuses available for different electrical items. Nice thing is if you cut one out of a donor and leave plenty of the harness you could mount it pretty much anywhere in the engine bay and wouldn't be limited to the inner fender.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for posting Jeepwhore, as it turns out the only available location I have with the 360 is the right inner fender. Unless I wanna Mad Max it and mount it extrnally.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

I bought one from a XJ at the boneyard for 20 bucks.Came full of relays and fuses and 4' of wire .Its already to go in a factory box.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

If and when I head out today, depending on the infamous Oregon rains that turn our local boneyard into a quagmire, I'll see if I can find an XJ,otherwise I found these;

that seem to come out of a 88-92 Ford Taurus, and they're readily accesible right next to the battery.
a relay panel like this is really what I'm after out of nessesity, but on the other hand would rather consolidate with my fuses in the engine compartment.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
CSP

Mid to late-90s Ford pickups have this underhood panel which has several relay and fuse slots. They aren't too bad to work with either. I added a relay slot and fuse slot (the spaces were there, but no wiring or terminals) to mine with parts from one I pulled out of a junkyard truck.
fuseboxafter.jpg  
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Looks really good CSP! I'm kinda torn between adding to what I already have or just consolidating.
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I got one out of a Dodge Shadow for $10.00 including 1/2 dozen relays.

Anything can be used with a little modification.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Well, I went to the boneyard today during my break instead of takin' siesta time, and pulled this from a '92 Ford F150, going to go blind on tracing wires before I'm done but NOW I've got relay positions, ya think?

Set down $25 clams and would'e kept more wiring, but it'd already been cut.
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
CSP

Pull those red pieces out and you can move wiring around if necessary. That one looks to have every position possible wired with terminals. Mine didn't and I had to add the terminals and wiring to add a relay and fuse to it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Yeppirs CSP, got it apart shortly after getting to my office and removed the terminals from one of the relay plugs as I intend to adapt it to 70 amp for my Contour fan setup. Got a socket for it last year and I'm going to graft it to the accessory panel (4X) that way if my engineering is poor I don't mess up the main.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

......and just in case these made in China controllers are not up to snuff, I mounted them seperately in a waterproof tupperware container on the inner fender.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.