Power brakes - what are my options? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power brakes - what are my options?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Well, looking at this old pic, I must have shortened the rod by quite a bit more than a inch.

I have that funky mechanical bit there (it's OEM), so the booster can clear the hydraulic clutch reservoir.
That accordian bit on the replacement unit (left side) covers a bit of sponge, I pulled it off to weld the pushrod.
Went out and got some more pictures of it, they're posted in my Jeep picture directory (link).

Last edited by trillobite; 01-05-2010 at 08:32 PM..
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78treehugger View Post
-AC- --- You can cut and reweld the rod or you can purchase an adjustable one. I am not sure if you can use the manual proportioning valve.

trillobite---did the booster bolt up to the CJ bracket? Spacers on which mounting holes, from the booster to the bracket or the bracket to the firewall? I like that setup, lines on CJ side and looks to be a better sealing cap.
The booster bolted up to the CJ mounting holes, but I think I drilled the mounting holes out a size to fit the larger booster mounting bolts.
The spacers on the booster bolts, once it's adjusted to preference. Obviously, I forgot to make the spacers, and used bolts on both sides of the mounting bracket. I had to get wheeling, and forgot about it.
I'm remembering something about the hole in the end of the pushrod being oddball, too. I think I used the rod end from the CJ booster, and welded it to the S10 booster. I was thinking, I'm welding the rod anyway, why worry about modifying the pushrod's hole?
I really need to document this stuff.
There's pics of me measuring both pushrods, but that mounting bracket offsets the booster from the brake pedal, and I thought it might be important to keep that.
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

I got my booster off of Ebay for around $40 to my door. Its only a single diaghram but it will lock up my 33s at will. I did have to shorten the pushrod. I actually cut the rod coming out of the booster and threaded the end that connects to the pedal, bought a 1/2 x 20 thread connecter at Lowes. Drilled out one end and pinned it to the rod left sticking out of the booster. This way there was no welding and no worry about ruining the diaphram. I was able to adjust the pedal where it felt good and off I went. You will need a couple of fittings from Napa.....here is the link to the page I followed to swap my manual brakes to power.YJ Brake Booster Upgrade. Good luck
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Well, it looks like I'm going to be upgrading sooner than I thought.

I changed out my floor mats today and noticed some moisture on the driver's side floor. I thought it was just water from melted snow but when I went to wipe it up, the paint came off the floor!

Can you say: brake fluid leaking on the inside?

Looks like the S10 dual diaphragm is going in on Monday.

Unread 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Iron Maiden, You and I must be running together on parts issues. I think you were on another thread with an issue similar to mine, and 3 days ago I noticed that my manual MC had a little dampness coming out the rear where the pushrod goes in... I guess I'll have a whole new brake system from one end to the other by the time I'm done...

So, what now should I be expecting to go out?? Lol

Will the hydroboost system require a different Air cleaner? I don't want to have to go from stock on mine..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I'm not going hydroboost right now. I'm just going to put a dual diaphragm unit in from an S10.

From what I have read, you will have clearance issues if you have a 258 using hydroboost.
Unread 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Figures, nothing easy...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
ukenout
1979 CJ5 

I'm wondering if you could use the brake booster assembly from a cherokee as finding YJ's in junk yards is becoming harder to do? I figure if the boosters were from the same year YJ or Cherokee they would be the same right???
ukenout is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.