power brakes, very hard to stop cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power brakes, very hard to stop cj7

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
toadman81
1982 CJ7 

power brakes, very hard to stop cj7

My 82 laredo came with power brakes. Since I've had it, the brakes have never been that good, but now it's to the point I don't want to drive it in fear of not being able to stop in time. They are mushy and you have to pump the brakes to stop. I bleed the brake lines recently and flushed out some nasty fluid, but she now has clear, fresh fluid. My guess is the master cylinder needs to be replaced or rebuilt. So here are my Jeep noob questions:

1) am I diagnosing this correctly?
2) what type of master cyldiner should I get?
3) Is it worth it to upgrade to a dual 8" diaphram kit like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-1974...889124&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/power-b...-pbuj7486.html

Brakes = saftey, so I want premium and reliable parts to stop this beast. Thanks in advance folks!

toadman81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

If you are not losing any fluid, it could be the rubber portion of the brake lines expanding. But, most likely it is the master cylinder. I bought the ebay kit. It is worth it, but I had to cut the pushrod and add new threads to it, because the brake pedal was too high. Other than that it was an easy install.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I'm guessing squishy brake lines or bad MC if you are sure there isn't any air in it. I swapped my manual brakes with a YJ power brake system. I had to lengthen the push rod and buy brake line adapters. Otherwise it bolted straight up and works fantastic! It actually brakes a little too hard if anything. My best mod for ~$100
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Be sure all drum brakes are properly adjusted. If they are sloppy, it can take a pump or two to get the shoes against the drums.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I would just buy a new master cylinder. They are not that expensive. It just makes it easier.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
adman02
1979 CJ7 

I had a similar problem - power brakes on my 79 CJ7 and it had terrible braking (never quite sure I'd stop in time). I swapped in several different MCs and nothing helped. I did the YJ brake swap and about put myself through the windshield the first time I tested the brakes.

Thinking back, I suspect the power booster may have been bad. If changing the MC doesn't do the trick, you might change out the vacuum booster to see if that helps. Slightly easier to do than swapping in a YJ system.
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Takes almost forever to get all the teeny bubbles out of a new master cylinder. Makes a massive difference when you do

Here's something else. Pull on your e brake until it holds. Push down on your brake pedal and off again Let the e brake go only 1 tooth. Push down on the brakes again. If you have good "pedal" or "feel" then you need to adjust your back shoes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse View Post
If you have a V8 and had the dual booster, you would have no problem. I bought a booster similar to that in pricing, it wouldnt fit on the brake pedal, the pushrod was different, and very little clearance between the booster and the carb, I had upgraded to a motorcraft 2100. I returned it for a OEM unit, power brakes and master cylinder.
I noticed the same problem looking at a few pictures of power brake setups. I purchased the dual diaphragm setup but decided against installing it because of clearance issues with the carb. With a V8 it wouldn't be a problem at all. I'll be staying with the stock power brake setup and with a new booster and MC I think it will work fairly well.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
toadman81
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse View Post
If you have a V8 and had the dual booster, you would have no problem. I bought a booster similar to that in pricing, it wouldnt fit on the brake pedal, the pushrod was different, and very little clearance between the booster and the carb, I had upgraded to a motorcraft 2100. I returned it for a OEM unit, power brakes and master cylinder.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=power+brakes

this thread has a conversion using a vans braking system for added stopping power.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...YJ-p-1567.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...s/#Vancoreview
decided to go the OEM route since the local parts store has it in stock and it's only a few bucks more than getting just a new master cylinder. hopefully this fixes things, but if not, I'll be reposting tonight. thanks for all the info!
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

I would check the vacuum line from the manifold to the booster. Also check the fitting on the booster where the vacuum line attaches. they are prone to cracking.
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
toadman81
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter71954
I would check the vacuum line from the manifold to the booster. Also check the fitting on the booster where the vacuum line attaches. they are prone to cracking.
That vacuum line was shot, not to mention the fitting on the booster was cracked. Master cylinder was in terrible shape and had a good amount of corrosion. I believe both the booster and MC needed to be replaced. Glad I didn't splurge for the dual diaphram cause no way that would have fit with my weber carb. Gotta pickup a new vacuum line tomorrow and bleed the system and test her out. Will give an update. Can't tell y'all how much I appreciate the insight! Thanks!
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

power booster bad
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.