JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Power brakes or not? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/power-brakes-not-1539736/)

Jproy15 06-22-2013 06:16 AM

Power brakes or not?

I figured out that my brake master cylinder is leaking. I want to order a new one but there are 2 different ones for my '82 cj7. How do I know if I have power brakes or not? Also, is there a better upgrade then the stock version everyone has for 70.00? Thanks for the info.

NoNative 06-22-2013 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the picture below you'll see the booster between the master cylinder and the firewall. If you have one of those, you have power brakes.

I added PB to my white laredo and it made a huge difference. You can get all the parts at autozone, napa, o'reilly's etc. and it's not a very expensive upgrade if you don't have them. I highly recommend it.

Jproy15 06-23-2013 07:01 AM

So the only part I need to make this upgrade is the "booster" part?

NoNative 06-23-2013 07:22 AM

I'm no mechanic, but if you can one of the stores I listed above them can probably tell you what parts you need. Alternatively you can do a google search for "Installing power brakes on a Jeep CJ" and I bet you'll find lots of write ups on how to do it what you'll need etc. The search function within jeep forum is your friend.

Jproy15 06-23-2013 10:57 AM

Thanks!!

Tigerjeep79 06-23-2013 04:23 PM

I was thinking of this too. The reason I run 32" tires is that in my opinion 33s would be the tipping point for power brakes. Shouldn't be that hard of a swap; my only beef with it is that I'd have to give up my cool-lookin' factory air cleaner for one of those that sit on top of the valve cover. Trivial, I know.

lucdog 06-23-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoNative
In the picture below you'll see the booster between the master cylinder and the firewall. If you have one of those, you have power brakes.

I added PB to my white laredo and it made a huge difference. You can get all the parts at autozone, napa, o'reilly's etc. and it's not a very expensive upgrade if you don't have them. I highly recommend it.

Do they come with the firewall bracket?

texasdave 06-23-2013 07:30 PM

Find a 95 wrangler you can get the parts from it to include the mounting brackets. You may have to alter the brake push rod unless you use the yj pedals.

NoNative 06-23-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79
I was thinking of this too. The reason I run 32" tires is that in my opinion 33s would be the tipping point for power brakes. Shouldn't be that hard of a swap; my only beef with it is that I'd have to give up my cool-lookin' factory air cleaner for one of those that sit on top of the valve cover. Trivial, I know.

Search eBay and you should be able to find a factory air intake set for cjs with power brakes. They usually go for around 30-40 buck last time I looked.

The time now is 05:27 AM.