power brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > power brakes

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-12-2002, 07:17 AM   #1
bodi

power brakes

I am getting ready to start my next project on my 83 CJ7. I want to convert my manual brakes to power brakes. Besides the power booster and master cylinder what else am I missing? I bouhgt this jeep without being mechanically inclined and have now grown into an amatuer wrench with a very long way to go.

Thanks for any help in advance.

83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
rustyCJ

i just swapped in a booster and master cylinder into my 79 CJ and now have power brakes. i dont know if i would have had to change master cylinders but i got the one that was bolted to the booster so to be safe i went with it. i compared the manual brake cylinder with the power one and they are the same length, have the same size reseviors and look identical. anyway, the booster and master cylinder is all i hooked up and my brakes work great.
Unread 12-12-2002, 03:24 PM   #3
bodi

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go ahead and replace my master cylinder as well. The current one on it is old and I would feel more comfortable putting the on a new one. I guess I will have to join a health club now that my right leg won't be getting a workout anymore. Did you have any problems running a vacuum line?
83 CJ7 w/remanufactured jasper 258 I6 w/t-5, Weber carb, new exhaust, PS, PB, 2 1/2" Lift, 31" BFG's, herculined interior and s**t brown paint job (for now) "in to deep..but thats when it starts getting fun"
Brown Jeep Club Member #2
bodi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
rustyCJ

i had a plug in my intake that i took out and screwed a nipple into and connected the vacuum line to that. a friend added a booster but his intake didnt have the spot so he put a T-fitting into one of the vacuum lines on the carb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.