Power brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Power brake problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 04-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Jeepguy91

Power brake problems

Well i just swapped out my manual brakes and put in a power brake booster from a 95 yj. I went and bleed the brakes all the way around and with the motor off the pedal is hard to push. Now with the motor running it goes all the way to the floor. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Also, where should the vacuum for the booster come from? I have it coming off the bigger end of where the line is pointing at. Should i have it somewhere else?

Need to get these working good before next weekend. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

98 ZJ Limited 5.2- FM 40
Jeepguy91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
moparguyrjr

Did you bench bleed the new mastercylinder? If you pump the brake pedal several times with the engine running do you eventually get a pedal? Just wondering if air could still be the problem.
moparguyrjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

You need the engine on for the power assist to work, which is why it is hard to push when the engine is off. I use the rule of thumb that the PCV and power brake booster get the 2 largest fittings available on the engine - power brakes so it gets ample of vacuum, the PCV because smaller lines plug easier.

Keep bleeding them til there is no more spongy feel in them. If they still go to the floor make sure the rears are adjusted properly and there are no more leaks.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Jeepguy91

Well do i have the hose for the booster coming from a good spot? I have it combined right there with the pcv hose. I went around and bleed each wheel twice and still when i have it running it goes to the floor.

98 ZJ Limited 5.2- FM 40
Unread 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Jeepguy91

Also, how hard should it be to push the brake pedal with the engine running? It seems like there is nothing there with the engine running.

98 ZJ Limited 5.2- FM 40
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Does it seem like any of the brakes work? It could be a bad master cyl. I had to replace the clutch master on my Honda once, and the new one was worse than the old one - old leaked, new bled past the seals internally...

Compare how the pedal feels to all of the other cars you've driven. Most feel about the same when working properly.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

You're in a very common place. Many of us have done the same mod and experienced the same symptoms.
To be honest, I'm not sure how many have actually ended up with great brakes after this mod. I'm still chasing the perfect pedal.
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't see where you bench bled the system. This is a must to get all the air out. IMO... The best way to bleed the brakes after this mod, is to never open the bleeder screws at the wheel cylinders to begin with. Fill the two lines up with fluid using an eye dropper or something, and if you bench bleed, you can actually bleed all the air out right there at the master cylinder.
It takes two people, just like the other way, but it is much quicker, and very effective.
You need a towel to absorb fluid that would otherwise get on your painted surfaces. But it works great.
It is too late to use this method if you already opened the bleeders at the W.C.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
moparguyrjr

If it's air in the system, you should be able to pump (with engine running) the pedal several times (5 or 10) and build a firm pedal. If it won't pump up, I'd suspect a bad mastercylinder. Other possibilities; as (or after) you're pumping, if it won't make a pedal check all along the brake line system for any leaks that may be causing a problem. I've also read about the proportioning valve being an issue. Wasn't on mine but others have reported the valve being a problem.

I did the conversion on my 79, it works GREAT. I highly recommend it. You'll work this out and be glad you went to the trouble.
moparguyrjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #10
Jeepguy91

Thanks. Will give that a try. Does anybody know if the booster ever goes bad? How would i tell if it is?

98 ZJ Limited 5.2- FM 40
Unread 04-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #11
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980tallcj7 View Post
You're in a very common place. Many of us have done the same mod and experienced the same symptoms.
To be honest, I'm not sure how many have actually ended up with great brakes after this mod. I'm still chasing the perfect pedal.
Mine work great, one of the best mods I have done.
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...pic.php?t=2992
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.