Postal into 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Postal into 4wd

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-23-2003, 11:47 PM   #1
4bangercj7

Postal into 4wd

ok, my buddy seen my cj, and got the fever. he ended up getting a 77 postal jeep, right hand drive ( of course ) for cheap. He wants to turn it into 4wd. Mechanical, its solid, and body is 80%, belive it or not. thing has a stright 6, 3 speed auto.

I figure i would ask if it could be done, and the guys who would know would be you, since you helped me with my little problem. He doesnt have a computer ( yeah, I make fun of him all the time ) and I said I would ask, what he needs to do.

I mean, I know you need a transfer case/front axles from a cj, but besides that, I have no idea.

any help/suggestions would be great. it is so cool, but weird !

4bangercj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 07:59 AM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Several years ago, either Four Wheeler or some other mag ran a multi part story called "Jeep for Cheap" where they did just that. After installing a donor front axle, transfercase (and adaptor) and driveshaft. There was still the fab work to the floorpan, a totally custom belly pan and the driveshaft barely fit by the transmission....in short...too much work for what it is worth. Fix it up, paint it, resell it, a buy a CJ-5 ( plus the top comes off ) to get the 4 wheel drive you are after.
But yes, it can be done.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 08:19 AM   #3
4bangercj7

Thanks...will send the word to my friend.

I am starting a body replacement on my cj, I couldnt imagine what work it would be doing that kind of swap/mod's.
Unread 03-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Gator

[URL=http://www.rocktek.ws/postal/index.htm]

heres a couple freinds of mine that it was a left handed drive DJ, then they swapped it to right hand drive, the write up is there as well
i want to think they are going to run 44 Swampers on it

in case your wondering when you look at the pics, the back half of the jeep, is made out of 1/8 Diamond plate steel that they hand made

it can be done & are cool lil rigs when done
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 04:17 PM   #5
4bangercj7

awesome link, thats a total custom job indeed. a little beyond his/mine limited skills lol.

To bad the body wouldnt fit on a CJ7 lol
Unread 03-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #6
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To get some ideas check out

http://www.postaljeep.com/gallery.html

This will give you some ideas what can be done with postal jeeps. In fact I just bought a 1981 postal jeep with an Iron Duke engine for $100. The body is shot but the motor runs great. I was thinking about turning mine into a CJ-5 also.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.