Possible Solutions to Lower Heat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Possible Solutions to Lower Heat

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 06-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Keith
Admin

Possible Solutions to Lower Heat

Besides a beefier radiator and electric fan are there any notable modifications or upgrades that make significant heat differences.

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Like you said, bigger radiator, bigger fan, air shrouds are important. You can also lower your coolant to water ratio as water transfers heat better than glycol. Just keep enough glycol in there to keep the freeze protection you will need for your area. If you have no threat of freezing you can actually run 100% water and just add some water wetter or purple ice to keep the corrosion protection and water pump lubrication intact. That's what we do for our race bikes.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Just worked on my this week. It has been getting hot in this 100+ West Texas heat.

I put my fan shroud back on (left it off after a 1 in body lift this winter) and also went from a 4 blade fixed pitch fan to a 6 blade flex fan. It is pulling so much air at idle, I am afraid for small children to walk by for fear of having them sucked in.

Also, dumb me, check your coolant level. I drained less than I re-installed (recovered about 99% when draining) meaning my level was probably low and at least adding to the problem.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Though generally not thought of as either a modification or upgrade an adequate amount of ignition advance timing along with a well tuned carb will help to hold the temp down.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Just to relate a shroud story from my ill spent youth. Way back when I bought a well used '66 Econoline van to keep my junk in. It ran out okay and in fact was the first (and only) turn key vehicle I ever had. The thing always ran hot on the open road. From time to time the company I drove for would have me hold over in Portland, OR where there was one of the few wrecking yards that didn't send their old stuff to the crusher. I found a '65 and a '67 whose parts I occasionally scavenged. One time I saw at the top of a three car stack another econoline~with a belly pan. I recalled from my hot rod days with a '66 Malibu with a 30-30 cammed motor that ran hot~until I installed a shoud. I unbolted the thing and ran it back home to Toledo, OR and bolted it up-from then on it wouldn't come up to full operating temperature on account of all the other cooling mods I had made. (oversized radiator, high flow water pump, etc.)
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I've been wanting to post a question here on engine temp. My '77 AMC 360 has the stock radiator, and a 4 blade fan. I did not get a shroud when I bought the Jeep. With the high heat lately, I've kept an eye on my temp gauge. I must have a 180 degree thermostat, because it gets up to that heat pretty quickly, then stops there. I've not had it get much hotter than that, including tonight when I was on the highway in 90 degree weather for 30 minutes in stop and go traffic. Its only going to get hotter here though, so I wasn't sure if I should do any upgrades to help it stay cooler for longer. It hits 180 pretty quickly, even on 70 degree mornings.
I have drained and flushed the system, and added water wetter to it. Any other suggestions?
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
That's a pretty good sign that your thermostat's working Dborns. 'Betty' goes the same way.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Maybe try some hood vents.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

At least a 3-core radiator, factory shroud, replace mechanical fan with a big 7-blade thermal clutch fan from a FSJ.

Beyond that, you can try to move all the air into the engine compartment you want, but its useless if you can't evacuate it. If the engine compartment is a significantly higher-pressure area, the air just won't move effectively. Hood louvers are an outstanding way to make that happen.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

Hood louvers. www.raceace.com
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Try Royal Purple coolant!!

Purple Ice is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive. It reduces engine heat by reducing the surface tension of the radiator fluids for improved heat transfer.
Purple Ice fosters optimum coolant flow by helping to prevent formation of scale deposits in the radiator. It also lubricates the water pump seals.
Purple Ice should always be used in conjunction with antifreeze in regions where freezing temperatures occur. Purple Ice is recommended for any water / glycol pressurized cooling system, including those using the traditional green silicate based glycols or the newer OAT or HOAT based glycols.

Street Thunder magazine
endorses Purple Ice

read more

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Keith
Admin

Anyone have any photographs of hood louvers installed?

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Oh, I can't miss the chance to show these off. I had mine directly stamped into the hood at a custom Hotrod shop. I wasn't to keen on the rivet on style although I'm sure they are fine. Once I get the Jeep running, I plan to check the under hood temps at extended idle then again at steady cruise with them opened up then check it again with them taped off to see the difference. You can see more louvers in this thread.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Someone here has some neat hood vents that go on the sides of the hood. No worries about rain.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Hood louvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
Someone here has some neat hood vents that go on the sides of the hood. No worries about rain.
That was a guy from Bali, the vents looked like gills. He did just about everything cool that you could do to a jeep.

If you add better fans and coolant properties, and still can't get the temp down, try a new t-stat. One that opens at a lower temp. At least it'll get the water moving sooner.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , cooling , engine , heat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.