Possible Future 1966 CJ5 owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Possible Future 1966 CJ5 owner

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Ok so ive been cruiseing my local craigslist and found a 1966 CJ5. He says it has a Hurricane 4cylinder engine, and 4 speed manual. He says it runs and drives great and that it just needs a fuel pump and carb rebuild. Hes motivated to sell it because hes moving and hes ask $2495. Also has a spare rim with no tires. Tires do look good. Looks like front diff is leaking. Floors dont look bad at all in thr pics and body looks really clean. Seats look good and solid just cracking like some attention should fix that. Also its a 40/60 bench seat and he says the bench seat is rare? Finally engine looks okay just greasy and some loose wires running over the top back of the engine bay.

Now my question is Is it a good quality type of jeep? Like that year CJ5. Also is that price reasonable and if not what would you say?

95knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Depends on what your looking for. It won't do well as a DD in highway traffic, but will be a blast to tool around in or go wheeling. The 4 will be (relatively) weak, but is a good motor.
Bench is not uncommon. The T98 (if it is stock) four speed is worth having.
Price is hard to tell, especially without pictures of the undercarrage and body.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Depends on what your looking for. It won't do well as a DD in highway traffic, but will be a blast to tool around in or go wheeling. The 4 will be (relatively) weak, but is a good motor.
Bench is not uncommon. The T98 (if it is stock) four speed is worth having.
Price is hard to tell, especially without pictures of the undercarrage and body.
Yea it wouldnt be more of DD itd be a toy sorta to drive to school and work once in a while. And here is a link to the ad since i was on my phone yesterday.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3761685403.html

Also Im not afraid of working on it because i can do most my slef and if not i know a few people that could help me.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

That looks like a 4 speed to me-good find!
(the trans cover is different for the factory T98 Jeeps, and that appears to be one)
Be aware that the Fhead 4 cyl is a reliable little engine, but it's glacially slow, especially
by modern standards. But with that trans, it outta climb anything!
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Okay. Ya if trying too talk a friend into a 50/50 and then probably make it a play toy or hardcore jeep and drop a v8 with 5 or 6 speed in
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

if its your first jeep and you are not that familiar with jeeps.

just go to the car lots, craigslist, etc: drive a few used jeeps, at least 3 before you lay any money on the table,
before you settle, look for loose wires and rust, these are signs of problems to come.
most old cj's will have plenty of those!!!!!!!!! be sure to drive it on a rough, bumpy road, as cj's will and can have very loose steering issues.

cj5, cj7 however, do not drive the models made after 1999 as they drive and ride like a car.

I have the 4 banger in a 1984 model cj7, runs ok, but not a power house.

if you are a big boy like me, the cj7 is much easier to get into, out of: just me.
however the cj5's do look good.

its your jeep and you will be the one riding in it, fixing it and driving it, so no matter what anyone says about any model jeep, you make the decision.

good luck,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
95knight
1998 ZJ 

Ya im 6'3" and will probably be atleast 6'6".

Ya i have a zj now, a 98 so i know the generalness but the cjs i have no clue really.

And i talked to the guy and hes straight up said its problems like the spare rim is too rusty but floors and body are solid he said... But i may test drive it and look over it but idk if i will right now anyways. Sorta wanna fix my Trans Am first and thatll be 2k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.