possible 304 and T176 buy..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > possible 304 and T176 buy.....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
benullman
1981 CJ7 

possible 304 and T176 buy.....

I just talked to a guy that is parting out a jeep. Its got a 304 and T176 and D300 I think. The guy said the engine hasnt been started in a few years and it was parked because it needs a new shift lever on the 176. (it broke at the top the way it sounds but shifts fine) He said its not seized. Wants $200 for the 304 and I offered him $250 for the 304 and T176 and he said he will get back with me when he talks to his buddy.

Seems like a good deal to me......?

Ben

Unread 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

If you're comfortable with spending $250 on what could essentially be useless cores, then go for it. An engine that hasn't been run for an unknown number of years could very well be siezed. If it's not you should at least do a compression test on it to get an idea of the condition. If I spend $200 on a 304 it better be running.

Shift levers don't just break all of the sudden. I am very skeptical that this transmission was shifting fine and had no problems when suddenly the shift lever just snapped. Sounds more likely that it got stuck in gear (which T176's are notorious for when the shifter mechanism starts to get worn) and someone tried to force it out of gear and broke something. Just take a look at the Quadratec catalog for replacement shifter parts and get an idea of what kind of $$ you might have to spend to fix this transmission. The shift cover is around $300, the shift lever is around $100. It could be a pricey proposition.
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Sounds like a fine deal to me, not "useless cores." Besides, for that price, you could get a new bearing and ring set and rebuild that 304 on the cheap. As far as the T-176 goes, I had one in my CJ behind a 360 and then a 383 stroker, and it was fine all the time. I beat the hell out of it, too...so I think you'd be fine.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
If you're comfortable with spending $250 on what could essentially be useless cores, then go for it. An engine that hasn't been run for an unknown number of years could very well be siezed. If it's not you should at least do a compression test on it to get an idea of the condition. If I spend $200 on a 304 it better be running.

Shift levers don't just break all of the sudden. I am very skeptical that this transmission was shifting fine and had now problems when suddenly the shift lever just snapped. Sounds more likely that it got stuck in gear (which T176's are notorious for when the shifter mechanism starts to get worn) and someone tried to force it out of gear and broke something. Just take a look at the Quadratec catalog for replacement shifter parts and get an idea of what kind of $$ you might have to spend to fix this transmission. The shift cover is around $300, the shift lever is around $100. It could be a pricey proposition.
Well, I need to see if first hand. I am going to rebuild both of these anyways so as long as the block isnt cracked and the motor isnt welded together its usable. I want to put a larger crank in it and make a stroked 304 probably 30 or 40 over bore.

But you are very right, I got to thinking and I wondering how bad the tranny was. If the engine ISNT seized and I can rotate it and the tranny isnt cracked beyone belief, Im thinking $200 would be a good deal.

Ben
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter402 View Post
Sounds like a fine deal to me, not "useless cores." Besides, for that price, you could get a new bearing and ring set and rebuild that 304 on the cheap. As far as the T-176 goes, I had one in my CJ behind a 360 and then a 383 stroker, and it was fine all the time. I beat the hell out of it, too...so I think you'd be fine.
well I tend to not listen to pathkiller very often because 4/5 posts are either useless or personal attacks. This on DID have some info in it atleast

I figured I would get the tranny, and keep it on hand to see what I want to do. The T150 in my 81 needs a new throwout bearing so I might put it in there. The new build im doing will have a NV3550 in it.

Ben
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

If you're planning to rebuild it anyway you don't need to spend $200. There's been a 360 on craigslist in Virginia for months and the guy finally lowered it to $50 trying to get rid of it. I've seen plenty of 360's in the 200 to 300 dollar range that are running. I would run a stock 360 any day of the week before spending money on boring and stroking a 304 and still having less HP than a stock 360.
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
If you're planning to rebuild it anyway you don't need to spend $200. There's been a 360 on craigslist in Virginia for months and the guy finally lowered it to $50 trying to get rid of it. I've seen plenty of 360's in the 200 to 300 dollar range that are running. I would run a stock 360 any day of the week before spending money on boring and stroking a 304 and still having less HP than a stock 360.
Please show me this 360 then! I look on CL quite a bit, never seen it!

Ben
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
well I tend to not listen to pathkiller very often because 4/5 posts are either useless or personal attacks. This on DID have some info in it atleast

Ben
Really? That's based on scientific analysis? Precisely 4/5 or approximately? I would have assumed that 4/5 of over 1200 posts being either useless or personal attacks would have resulted in some sort of moderator sanctions by now, but I haven't seen anything yet? I'm sorry you feel that way, I'll make sure to never offer any helpful advice to you again. Since we're neighbors in Virginia I'll also make sure to never lend a hand when I see you broken down on the road. Or pass along any good deals on Jeep parts I might have found. Great way to start a new year, fella, by insulting someone who is trying to help you in good faith.

If you feel my presence on this forum is detrimental I would encourage you to report any of my posts to the moderators using the "report post" function, who will take the appropriate action.

Good luck to you, may karma give you precisely what you deserve.
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Really? That's based on scientific analysis? Precisely 4/5 or approximately? I would have assumed that 4/5 of over 1200 posts being either useless or personal attacks would have resulted in some sort of moderator sanctions by now, but I haven't seen anything yet? I'm sorry you feel that way, I'll make sure to never offer any helpful advice to you again. Since we're neighbors in Virginia I'll also make sure to never lend a hand when I see you broken down on the road. Or pass along any good deals on Jeep parts I might have found. Great way to start a new year, fella, by insulting someone who is trying to help you in good faith.

If you feel my presence on this forum is detrimental I would encourage you to report any of my posts to the moderators using the "report post" function, who will take the appropriate action.

Good luck to you, may karma give you precisely what you deserve.
Im not interested in getting in a pissing match. It just sucks when I know you have knowledgable information and ive read some great posts from you, but you seems to give some people a hard time and be a smart *** to much.

to each his own, I wont report you because we all can police ourselves. I dont need to go running to a moderator. I can control my actions.

Id be more than glad to stop and help you if you were ever broken down.

happy new year!

Ben
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

If the motor is still in the heep, see if you can go over to the guy's house and start it... take some gas and starting fluid.. that'll give you some idea of the motor's condition even if you can't get it started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter402 View Post
FWIW he said they could be useless cores, NOT that they were useless cores... since the condition is unknown, they could be low mileage rebuilds, OR beaten to hell. They could be either or somewhere in between.

The T176 is a strong transmission, but it sounds like this one has seen better days, so be wary.
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
Im not interested in getting in a pissing match.
Then perhaps you shouldn't have dissed me when I was trying to help you. Consider that bridge burned, pal. Lesson learned. Fortunately, you're still young, and will hopefully someday learn that treating people like crap who are trying to be helpful to you is not a good strategy in life.
Unread 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
If the motor is still in the heep, see if you can go over to the guy's house and start it... take some gas and starting fluid.. that'll give you some idea of the motor's condition even if you can't get it started

FWIW he said they could be useless cores, NOT that they were useless cores... since the condition is unknown, they could be low mileage rebuilds, OR beaten to hell. They could be either or somewhere in between.

The T176 is a strong transmission, but it sounds like this one has seen better days, so be wary.
yeah this is a 'pull your own' setup. I do want to try and crank it. Im afraid if I get it running (im pretty sure I could get it to do something) he might want more for it.

So im going to see what condition its in and go from there. Ill pull the spark plugs and spin it and see what we have.

he said he has a crane/boom truck so if I unbolt it he will put it right in the back of the truck.

im just waiting for him to call me back and see what he says. Hell, I might even buy the D300 with it if he offers me a good deal.

Ben
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I was going to say it would be a good deal if the 300 was included. I mean a broken engine with a broken trans really can't be worth much. Who knows what's really wrong with them.
Unread 01-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtiger View Post
I was going to say it would be a good deal if the 300 was included. I mean a broken engine with a broken trans really can't be worth much. Who knows what's really wrong with them.
well the story goes It was parked a few years back due to the tranny. The shifter busted. So if the engine isnt siezed (im going to see what the odo says to get a ballpark) and im pretty sure the D300 is fine. Then if I can get the whole drivetrain for $300.

I looked at Novaks site, the T176 will need at MINIMUM the $150 rebuild kit, and $100 MIMIMUM for new shift lever and shifter rebuild, and the D300 is $150 for the rebuild kit.

but that doesnt seem to bad for me if I can get them for $300. Especially because the T176 will just be a backup tranny I will rebuild if my T150 blows.

Ben
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

In that case make sure you get the 300. The t176 won't mount to your Dana 20. The 300 probably won't need a rebuild. I am rebuilding my t176 right now with the 150$ novak kit. I had the buy a shifter cover also. So I bought another t176 and used it's top. Cost 200$ for a spare trans which was less than a new cover. If the motor was running I would say $300 is a good deal.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.