Possible 1st time buyer of a CJ (rust issue ?'s) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Possible 1st time buyer of a CJ (rust issue ?'s)

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Possible 1st time buyer of a CJ (rust issue ?'s)

Like the title says 1st time possible buyer of CJ there is one in town with the 304 for $800. The outside of it looks decent, the inside is really rusted up on it. I noticed behind the drivers door the flat metal that goes from the door frame to the wheelwell/tub is totally seperated.

I have owned a YJ and a TJ (this was my FAV 35's, 4.0, 5 spd) but gone are the days I can just go out and get a big fancy loan and buy whatever car I want, I had knee surgery and will be selling my 78 Yamaha XS650 to fund this purchase. I bought the bike only about 2 months ago, but since the knee surgery I am afraid of it. I am worried I may really mess my self up good next time. My father always told me when you start to fear a bike someone is telling you something. I just wanna sell it now. I have ridden for 18 years I am 30 now with a 8 year old at home.

Sorry to run on about the bike, I just wanna give a little back ground info I guess. The issue is how hard would it be to fix this rust, I can weld good, I have some very light metal working skills.

What other things should I look for on this? Any problem spots that can't be fixed with some patience? I am not even for sure if it runs or the year of it. I know kinda vague now that I think about it, but I have typed quite abit so too late to turn back now.

I am a Jeep head, my first time in a Jeep was a friends dad's CJ5 that he took me and my bro down the river during a summer of drought. Ohh man that was the coolest ever since then I have been hooked.

If someone could just point me in the right directions to look at on this I would be great.

Ohh I guess I should add it has a hard top in decent shape, and I will get pics tomorrow of it. It has been sitting a while I guess, maybe I can wheel and deal with him.

Last edited by bbjsw10; 09-13-2009 at 08:59 PM..
bbjsw10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
datmony
1986 CJ7 

Make the assumption that with it being a Jeep in the midwest that there is cancer in it. That pretty much goes without saying. I grew up in Illinois and the first CJ7 that I had was a complete rust bucket. The way that I would look at it is this. It is $800. You can pretty much cut out and replace any body area that is bad for not too much money. The main thing to be certain of is that the frame is decently solid and that the body mounts are not rusted through. Other than that, for that cheap you can't expect a trailer queen. If you like it, buy it and beat it. Fix what you feel like fixing and then part it if need be.
datmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pics as promised.

Unread 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
datmony
1986 CJ7 

I would say for 800 bucks there is a lot to work with there. Obviously tough to make a good call off only pictures but most of that is fixable relatively easy or at least as easy as body work goes as a whole.
datmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where is a good place to acquire body panels? I would like to just buy a panel here and there as I go. That is the only way I could ever afford to build one. I wouldn't even do a good paint job on it, just olive drab the whole thing. I just wanna make a solid one.
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Can you weld? You can do this if you have the time. Check out Classic Ind. for the best repair panels.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well Thanks guys!! I think I may just go with a XJ for now. More of them around and less rust. Maybe in the future I can get a CJ to build up. This one is just too rusty for me. I would honestly never finish it after thinking on it for a few.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.