PO's SOA: Should I be scared?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PO's SOA: Should I be scared??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
olcj
1975 CJ5 

PO's SOA: Should I be scared??

I bought my '75 as a roller, the PO did a SOA on it. I've been reading the threads about steering geometry and decided to take a good look at mine. The tie rod is a little out of kilter, but I was shocked at what the PO did at the other end of the tie rod. Looks like he welded part of a knuckle to the steering knuckle to raise the tie rod, how scary is this?

olcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
puggles

If it was done right & welded good I wouldn't think it to be an issue. He was trying to get the tie rod over the leaf springs. There's a conversion kit that does basically the same thing. This is what it would look like if he did not do that

Now that's a scarier picture of mine rather then yours.

Others??
Unread 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
olcj
1975 CJ5 

Yeah, the tie rod would have been at a pretty radical angle if he hadn't done what he did. Looks like a decent welding job, just never saw it done that way.

Right now it is running a regular pitman arm, I was wondering if I should run a drop pitman to try and make it more level.
Unread 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
puggles

I had a dropped arm on that one. How does it steer/handle?
Unread 04-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That would scare me. Unless I'm mistaken the knuckles are cast. YOU SHOULNT' BE WELDING TO CAST. I don't like the looks of that from a safety stand point at all. JMHO
Unread 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

no that is not safe at all! Think about what could happen going down the road.
Unread 04-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
spk454
1983 CJ8 

I would be. This is one solution, a little pricey though.
http://www.rocky-road.com/cjott.html
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

That looks like an accident waiting to happen to you.
Unread 04-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
olcj
1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the input guys, that is why I am asking now, before I dared to actually drive this thing!! I think I need some sort of solution, not sure what would be the best bet, that over-the-top kit cost almost as much as I paid for this thing!! Anybody have any ideas on a better way to do it??
Unread 04-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

It looks like lift springs, SOA with drum breaks and poor wellding...
I would not trust it as a daily driver.
A much better way to go would be disk brakes with flattop D44 knuckles and a high steer kit (don't forget to replace those stock shackles).

Does it have a dropped pitman arm? If not, I would replace the knuckles (or at least the passenger side knuckle and try a dropped pitman arm (it may interfere with the bottom of the existing spring pack).
How is the caster angle? If the front differential is tipped up ward very much you need to consider turning the knuckles to return the caster to within stock specks.

It is OK to weld to cast/forged iron but you need to use the proper welding rod, preheat the weld and cool it very slowly; from the look of the existing weld the person that did it probably did not do this (Do you feel lucky?... ).

Any way that you look at it it looks like you purchased a hobby...

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Kman1983
1983 CJ5 

Yeah I sure hope thats not coming down the highway when my family is out on the road. If you don't have the money to do the steering right you could change the knuckle(which you need to do anyways) and put the axles back on top of the springs.
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
olcj
1975 CJ5 

Don't worry, this thing isn't going on the road until I feel it is safe. It didn't look safe to me, just wanted some opinions to verify this since I'm a newbie to SOA. I've got plenty of time to ponder, it has ALREADY become a hobby, and it'll be a while til it's roadworthy, just looking at my options to do this safely...
Unread 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I agree that it's not a safe setup. Weld looks suspect and a steering system has the potential to apply a lot of force to that steering arm. Maybe okay on a trail rig but no way I'd run that down the street.

That drag link looks to be what?.. 8-10 inches above the tie rod at the pitman arm? Even a typical drop pitman arm would still leave it 4-6 inches high. That would cause a lot of bumpsteer. Best bet (although pricey) is to do a High Steer setup to get the drag link over the spring pack safely.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Your cheapst solution is to take the link back to stock location and run a dropped pitman arm. The best solution is flat top knuckes with new arms on them. Also get rid of the lift springs and get some stock ones.
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
olcj
1975 CJ5 

I'll have to do some research, too much of a newbie to know about things like flat top knuckles & such. I think there is way too much to compensate with a drop pitman arm, will have to look into the other options, high-steer etc. I'm a motorcycle rider and don't take any chances with my bikes, I'm not about to get done in or do someone else in with a PO's half-*** attempt to get this thing up in the air, I'm gonna listen to your collective opinions and sort through my options (and get more of an education on this stuff)

Thanks guys!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.