por 15 quantity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > por 15 quantity

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

por 15 quantity

about to buy por. Looking at a gallon of chassis coat and 2 gallons of por 15. I will be painting the axles, springs,frame and underside of the tub and maybe engine bay. I will also paint the inside tub but will spray herchuliner before the por 15 dries (so no topcoat needed). It adds up to $500 with shipping so i wanted to do it right.
Thanks,
Brady

PS: I will be asking questions, I have a 72 dana 30 that I want to add the disc brakes from my 1980 dana 30. So I will be replacing all ball joints, u-joints and a brake going through. Also doing the 44 rear. So I was going to atempt my first write up!

Unread 01-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

I haven' used the POR 15 yet but with the prices I have seen that sounds about right. I also have the 72 same set up. Can't wait to see the write up.
Good luck.
St.Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Hey Patrick,
How do you like the 3.73 with 31s? I have 33s but they only measure 31" tall.
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

it took a quart to do my 64 cj5 frame - used a second quart to cover the axels, springs ( I separated the leafs and then reassembled), skid plates and a couople misalaniouse. bought a six pack of pints for stuf that comes up - one did the windsheild frame and all the top hardware.

IMO you are way over ordering - unless you are doing thirty coats

follow the directions - and WEAR VYNAL GLOVES
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
St.Patrick
1972 CJ5 

I work about 60 miles from my house and use the Jeep on snowy days. So I still need to be able to get down the Highway at a decent speed. I do some trail riding but nothing to hardcore. for this I think it's perfect. I still have a lot of torque in the low end and a decent top speed. If I went to 33s I would lose a little bit of the low end but my top speed would be more. so for me it's not a big deal. What are your thoughts? Also I only have a 3speed.
St.Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

MAke sure you metalready the metal and then clean well (1st two steps)
Or you wind up trying to remove the por15 off your frame that will come off with a pressurewasher spray. (current experience)
I'm going to use this kit
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
kbazurpe
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtiger
a gallon of chassis coat and 2 gallons of por 15.

I did the underside of a tub (2 or 3 coats) and a frame (2 coats) and didn't use more than a 1/2 gallon. Two gallons might be more than you'll need, POR15 is pretty thin.
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

Getting your POR15 in smaller units (as suggested above) can be a good idea. You can really open the container twice or so and it will then start to harden. Once opened, storing it long periods aint gonna happen.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridazed
Getting your POR15 in smaller units (as suggested above) can be a good idea. You can really open the container twice or so and it will then start to harden. Once opened, storing it long periods aint gonna happen.
I saw a good tip on that. Before you put the lid back on the can, shoot the inside full of Argon from a Mig welder. It displaces air.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
X2, as I was reading the above I was thinking the same thing.
The POR15 will survive a bit longer but the Chassis Black will turn to a rock within a few days of opening the lid. Use a piece of plastic between the lid when you go to re-seal or you will never get it open again.
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Maybe break the order into one gallon of POR 15, a few quarts of POR 15 and 4 quarts of Chassis Black. Although it'll be more expensive to buy the smaller cans, it'll allow you to open cans as needed and avoid having the stuff harden in the can.

That's an interesting tip about the Argon. I always try to have everything ready so I can open the can, pour into plastic container and reseal can immediately to limit exposure to humidity (since POR is moisture cured). I've actually got 2 qts of POR 15 that have been opened before and have been sitting on my shelf for 6 months. I picked them up yesterday and they are still liquid.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Once opened, storing it long periods ain't gonna happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
X2, as I was reading the above I was thinking the same thing. Use a piece of plastic between the lid when you go to re-seal or you will never get it open again.
X3. I've tried the plastic trick, didn't work all that well. The problem is if you get any POR-15 into the area where the lid seals...It's like Ultra Epoxy. You'll bend the f**k out of the lid the next time you try and open it. Which will ruin the rest of your product. Suggestion: If you go with the gallon size, head to Lowe's or HD and pickup a few small paint cans and lids. Pour the POR-15 into them using a disposable funnel to protect the lid area. Open and use only what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsenice
...follow the directions - and WEAR VINYL GLOVES
Yup. And old clothes. Or get a throw away set of painter's coveralls. Wear a hat (ya don't want this in your hair-Don't ask). And tarp under where you're working.

I used cheap Chip Brushes to apply the stuff. They do shed some of their bristles though. I don't think ya want to try and clean a brush out after using it...Just my $.02.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Great advice.
I will be using a metal ready type substance. It is a lot cheaper and no shipping charges on the stuff from Home Depot. The reason I was trying to do all of it at once is the shipping costs were significantly cheaper. I have read about using the plastic wrap under the lid but not the argon idea. I will be spraying the por so it will be cut with thinner. Maybe 1 gallon of POR and 2 quarts of chassis coat?
Patrick-- I think that the 3.73 will be perfect for the 31s. Our trannies have the same final drive gear so they are not that different. If I do go to 33s, I would like to have 4.56 gears.

Thanks again,
Brady
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

not sure exactly what they put in there metal ready - but I scored a gallon of phoporuse metal prep from the local paint store - it did seam to prep the surface, but the POR finish instead of being shinny and rock hard as previouse experiance was, turn out dull and soft. - top coat was rattle can and seamed fine. Mabey I forgot the rinse after the metal prep on the windsheild - can't remember

IMO - stick with their product (Metal Ready)and what worked for me was to lay a vynal glove on the lip of the can before the lid - 2 layers - then I hammered the lid into the grove - stayed fresh for over a month - 6 months before I used it.

with spraying - you will use less product, I still think you are way over ordering, but at least you will have plenty to cover everything multiple times
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

how much does it take to cover the inside of the tub and the underside of the tub? I thought that would take a gallon.
Fran how much would you get?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.