por 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > por 15

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

por 15

has anyone used this stuff i just ordered some for my jeep and i got to thinking what good is it going to do if you do all under the jeep tub and finders if you cant get inside the supports for the tub???? has anyone done this ? I'm thinking something flexible but firm that i can run in and out with maybe a drill to knock of loose rust chunks and then put something like a sponge on the end of it to paint the inside of support rail's after the rest of the tub is done .... not sure just and idea if anyone has done this please get back with me thanks ..............

dustindoughty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a TJ and live in Texas. Mine had no rust at all, then I dropped the skid and a small amount had started in each of the frame holes on both sides. I bought the starter POR 15 kit and did the frame where the skid contacts and the same on the skid/trans crossmember. They make brushes to go into odd holes and hard to reach places. FYI, get some long sleeves and really good gloves. This stuff will not come off your skin. It likes humidity when curing and will stop your rust where it comes in contact with metal.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yes, many of the folks here have used the stuff. I just ordered another quart Monday. They do make "daubers" for their product, which is basically a wool ball on the end of some flexible wire, to get those hard to reach places. But some guys have used an old sock or material tied to a stiff wire to do the same thing.
Personally, I used a different product for inside the supports. Eastwood makes a flexible 18" hose with a conical spray tip that fits a rattle can and their Internal Frame Paint comes with one, as does their Rust Encapsulator. I choose that method because it's not near as messy. Anything POR gets on.... it ain't coming off unless done immediately with some type of solvent. Wear gloves and old clothes.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

How much is required to do a complete CJ7 frame, axles&diff housing, shock towers etc?
CJ7KAHUNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Be advised, Por 15 is designed to use over bare, prepped metal, or metal with surface rust. You will loose all of its benefits, if you apply it over existing paint.

Also, any areas that will be exposed to sunlight, will need a top-coat with a different paint, since Por 15 doesn't hold up to U/V.

Truly, the best way to do it is pull the tub from the frame.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA View Post
How much is required to do a complete CJ7 frame, axles&diff housing, shock towers etc?
I did my new frame with 2 coats and only used maybe a third of a quart. It's a really thin paint and a little goes a long way. But then I did many other parts, rear axle, both skid plates shock towers, steering gear, bunch of small parts, etc before I ran out. I started doing the seams on my tub and finished that quart, used one of the little 4 oz cans from their sample kit, and I just got another quart yesterday. So it does go longer than you'd think. If your buying a quart go thru Amazon.com. I got a quart for $32, which came thru TCP Global who usually charges $44/qt. (if you go straight thru them) like most other places I've seen.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Post #10 to Post #12
http://street2mud.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8&st=0

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Note: when you seal up the can use some plastic saran wrap. DO NOT put the lid back on the can by itself, you won't get it off. I poured some in a small coffee plastic can to do my work.

Unread 04-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

hey rollbare did you take it down to bare metal that looks realy good i hope mine truns out goode.. how do you put pics up it says its to big
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

lol rollbar lol not rollbare
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

No I did not take it down to bare metal-you don't have to. I used the etch as in the pictures on the link I gave on Street2Mud. It sat for a year in the Fla rain and NO RUST. Even the sides where you see the old rust holes (getting some rails next to cover it), no rust. I coated it well and I am very happy w/it. Go to the build link on S2Mud and look.

Signed,
Rollbare lol

Unread 04-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
DustinDoughty
1974 CJ5 

Yes I looked at ur pics and I like it ...... I have been told that if u don't get all paint off it wont stick so that's y im asking cause I don't want to do this again ......so u just used the metal ready on all bare metal and painted spots to or just the metal the coated with por-15
My por15 is going to be here Tuesday ..
DustinDoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Here is what I did when I lived in Florida, your results may very.

Washed tub/degreased
Sprayed the metal ready/etcher and followed the directions
Applied POR-15
Painted
NO BARE METAL except a few spots sanded.
Been on there for years and no pealing etc.

Unread 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I dipped the POR out of the can with a small plastic Dixie cup and put it into a red plastic Solo cup to paint with. Dipping the POR out keeps it from the sealing area of the can. If you get ANY in the sealing lip area, wipe it as clean as you can. Also take care opening the can. I almost destroyed the lid of mine trying to pry it off. It was almost locked to the can by the design of the sealing lips.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Dipping the POR out keeps it from the sealing area of the can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
Note: when you seal up the can use some plastic saran wrap. DO NOT put the lid back on the can by itself, you won't get it off. I poured some in a small coffee plastic can to do my work.
Also, just throw your brush away and get a few extras.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.