Popping out of 2nd Gear after trans rebuilt..Why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Popping out of 2nd Gear after trans rebuilt..Why?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
itsybitsy
1977 CJ5 

Popping out of 2nd Gear after trans rebuilt..Why?

I just had my T150 trans rebuilt at a local Jeep shop. They used a master rebuild kit with gaskets & seals, plus replaced all gear forks too. They said the gears were fine. We filled it with Amsoil GL-4 Manual Trans Fluid. The first 25 miles it shifted perfectly with ease.

Then it sat for 2 days and now while accelarating in second, it pops out of second gear at around 2500 rpms. I removed the shift boot and metal cover and it still does it. All other gears work fine.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Please help??

itsybitsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

A few possibilities:

2nd/3rd synchro is worn
synchro teeth on 2nd gear worn
The shop left off a locking ring when assembling it

I would recommend you take it back and tell them to make it right.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
itsybitsy
1977 CJ5 

Yea, there are going to pyll it back out this week. I'm sensing it has been awhile since they rebuilt a T150. All the synchros have been replaced so I'm curious about this locking ring. Is this easy to miss / forget about?
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

If someone isn't familiar with the transmission or rushes, yes they could miss one. There is also a tabbled washer that goes under one of the locking rings. If any of these are missing, it could cause significant endplay in the components and possibly affect shifting and/or staying in gear. If they checked their rebuild correctly, then they should have measured that endplay after assembling all of the components. Again, rushing through the job can impact that. Its kinda hard to say what could have happened but they should make it right at their cost if you contracted for a rebuild.
1998 TJ 4.0
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

There is a snap ring holding the bearing in the rear bearing housing if you miss that one it will slip out of second ask me how I know that
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
itsybitsy
1977 CJ5 

This is very helpful. Sounds like we know where to dial in at.
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

BTW. My master rebuild kit didn't include syncho assemblies. It did include synchro blocking rings. The blocking rings are the brass rings that have small teeth on them. Make sure they examined the synchro assembly. This is what slides to change between 2nd and 3rd in the T150. The teeth tend to wear on each end and that can cause slipping out of gear.
1998 TJ 4.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.