Pooched Starter Solenoid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pooched Starter Solenoid?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Pooched Starter Solenoid?

Hey all, I am on the verge of starting up my newly rebuilt AMC 258. All the wiring is where it should be, but I am getting no action from the starter. Here's what's happening. The negative ground runs from the negative terminal down to the top starter bolt. The other starter wire runs from the solenoid to the connector on the starter. Now, with a voltmeter I took some readings. With the key off, there is 12v on the side of the solenoid that hooks to the positive battery terminal. With the key in the on position, there is 12v on the red ignition wire on the solenoid, like there should be (right?), in addition to the positive terminal hook up. With the key on start, there is now 12v on the blue start wire as well as the other two wires, but none on the side of the solenoid that leads to the starter (hence, no start). Is this a faulty solenoid? For fun, I touched the wire that runs to the positive post to the one that runs to the starter, and voila, it turns over. Is the solenoid pooched? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Sounds like bad solenoid. When the blue wire goes hot in start it closes the switch between the battery cable and starter cable. Unless of course you have an automatic and then it could be the NSS.

And yes, in run position the I post should have 12v. The S post gets 12v during crank.
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like a sticking solenoid. You have the right mix:

Good ground
12V on blue wire in start on S tab
12V on Red wire on I tab
12V on big red wire to battery
Red wire to starter connected

You could take it off and bench test it but there are a couple of things you can try to get your starter to crank the engine over.

The first thing to try is to see if the blue wire on the solenoid is tightly in place. If it is loose, see if you can reinstall it tighter or try slightly crimping the spade lug to make it fit tighter. If this does not help, try tapping on the starter solenoid with a hammer or screwdriver handle while someone in the vehicle turns the key to the Start position. The tapping can help the solenoid make contact and send current to the starter motor.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

starter solenoids today are junk, I have gone through three in a year, just replaced mine again last weekend
sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

All right, so I have the new solenoid all hooked up, turned the key expecting a start, and........ nothing. Again. With another test, I'm getting 12v all the places it needs to be except on the post of the solenoid that leads to the starter. Any Ideas? I have the battery grounded to the top bolt that holds the starter in place. Does the starter need another ground somewhere?
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
13riverking
1981 CJ7 

only thing i can think is to make sure you have a good ground between the solinoid and where it mounts, problably the fenderwell, maybe put a small ground from the mounting bolt on the solinoid to the negivitive post, maybe 10 or 12 gage
13riverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the info, turns out the ground wire was hanging loose from it's home on the frame (have a glass body, inconvenient for grounding). Thanks for the help
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

And thanks for reporting back on your solution also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , electrical , solenoid , wire , wiring

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.