Pontiac 389 to CJ 7 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Pontiac 389 to CJ 7 swap

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Jeepdog17

Pontiac 389 to CJ 7 swap

Wondering if it would be possible to drop a 1965 Pontiac 389 Tri-Power in a late 70's to early 80's CJ 7?
Thanks

Jeepdog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
amdavidson
1982 CJ7 

All things are possible. I haven't seen that swap, but I'm sure it could be done with some effort.

A chevy small block is a common swap. I don't know off hand how different the mounting is for the tripower, but I'm sure Novak could be of some help.
amdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

The first step would be to determine the bell housing bolt pattern to see if a adapter is available...are you planning 4wd ?

What are you going to do with the jeep?

Mud it, race it, rock crawl it...daily driver?

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Chevy made a dual pattern t350 for 4x4 applications. I had one in a 1981 Chevy truck. The full-size cars with diesel engines like the Pontiac grand prix had some too. Those would need some converting. That's a pretty wide block,I wonder is there is room......weight is going to be something to think about. I don't know if they are heavier than the AMC 401 or not,but that's a lot of cast iron up front.

Depending on what its out of; it may be worth more than the vehicle as a hole.

Could be fun though....keep us up on it.....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

There's 2 CJ's around here with all cast iron BBC's in them, which I assume is wider and longer (?), and probably around the same weight as the 389. Shouldn't be an issue.
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Two things-
1-It would be a waste to put that engine in a CJ....it belongs in a GTO or Grand Prix!
2-it's probably worth more than your whole Jeep. Sell it to someone restoring a Goat and do a SBC swap instead.

That is assuming it's a real tri-power 389. Have you checked the #'s on it?
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
BIG X2
My brother had a '67 Goat with the 400 4 speed, red hardtop dam sexy car in my eyes. My dream car is another '67 with the '66 or earlier 389 6 pack just for the exotic asthetic of it.
You can do what you will with your 389 and more power to ya, but I'd be on the hunt for a Goat with a bad motor.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

I'll get flamed for this, but....
That 389 is probably only worth something to somebody who has the date coded car and VIN that needs it. I'm sure some Pontiac purists may pay some for it, but I could only see it going for big bucks to somebody who has a specific car and wants a complete numbers matching deal.
Unread 07-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Tri power SUCKS offroad! 3 times the number of floats getting banged around means MORE gas dumped than power made. Pontiac motor is bigger than Chev. What trans would you run? TH400 with BOP pattern from a '68-'70 full size Jeeps with Buick 350 comes with a Model 20. Is your frame super solid? The 389 will twist it up if not.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had one years ago, great motor but not for a jeep. I hope you know carbs real well, adjusting 3 carbs with mechanical linkage can be fun.
sure was fun to drive, I had 4.10 gears with posi, bang 3rd gear hard and it would start to come around sideways.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRd_CJ5 View Post
I'll get flamed for this, but....
That 389 is probably only worth something to somebody who has the date coded car and VIN that needs it. I'm sure some Pontiac purists may pay some for it, but I could only see it going for big bucks to somebody who has a specific car and wants a complete numbers matching deal.
Just a tri-power intake setup goes for over a grand these days...
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #12
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
Just a tri-power intake setup goes for over a grand these days...
Yep, to the "right" person. How many people do you know who would pay over $1,000 for an outdated carb setup? I don't know any....
Just because people say it's worth that, doesn't mean it's a guarantee you'll get that.
Bottom line is if that's what they want to do with it, why try and shy them away from it? It would be a different setup, and very cool.
That motor is no wider/heavier/longer than a cast iron BBC, and like I said, I know of 2 just around here with all cast BBC's in them.
Unread 07-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #13
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRd_CJ5 View Post
Yep, to the "right" person. How many people do you know who would pay over $1,000 for an outdated carb setup? I don't know any....
Just because people say it's worth that, doesn't mean it's a guarantee you'll get that.
Bottom line is if that's what they want to do with it, why try and shy them away from it? It would be a different setup, and very cool.
That motor is no wider/heavier/longer than a cast iron BBC, and like I said, I know of 2 just around here with all cast BBC's in them.

Just because you don't know any early Pontiac enthusiasts, doesn't mean they don't exist. Plenty of guys who lust for a '65 GTO (I sold mine 15 years ago and still regret it!)
Can this swap be done? Sure. A Pontiac uses the same bellhousing to trans bolt pattern as a Chevy. Would it be different? Absolutely.
Should it be done? IMO, no. But it's not my Jeep or my engine....
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
"outdated" may seem garbage to some, but as for me I don't feel that way about things I'm passionate about. Certainly a tri power makes little sense off road but if were talking GTO's here that's another story.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
A Pontiac uses the same bellhousing to trans bolt pattern as a Chevy.
Actually they don't use the same pattern, but the intent of your reply doesn't change as a result of that.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.