Polyurethane Gas Tanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Polyurethane Gas Tanks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 01-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Workethic

Polyurethane Gas Tanks

Has anyone seen these? They make them in 20 gallon versions, and they will never rust.

CJ7 1979 4.3l 1997 vortec V6, Endelbrock 4 barrel carberator and intake manifold, Flo Core waterpump, powermaster alternator, Mallory distributor and fuel pump, headman headers, flowmaster dual mufflers T18A tranny, Dana 20 T-case, 15 Mickey Thompson Rims, 33 by 12.5 Super Swampers, Warn Premium Locking hubs, Rancho 9000 shocks, 4" suspension 3" body lift by Skyjacker, Autometer Z gauges, smittybuilt front and rear bumpers, Tom Woods CV joint rear driveshaft.
[url]www.danhenk.com[/url]
Workethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
knifeboy2

They're not new, what's your point or question?
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Workethic

Are they any good? I have a small 10 gallon tank.
CJ7 1979 4.3l 1997 vortec V6, Endelbrock 4 barrel carberator and intake manifold, Flo Core waterpump, powermaster alternator, Mallory distributor and fuel pump, headman headers, flowmaster dual mufflers T18A tranny, Dana 20 T-case, 15 Mickey Thompson Rims, 33 by 12.5 Super Swampers, Warn Premium Locking hubs, Rancho 9000 shocks, 4" suspension 3" body lift by Skyjacker, Autometer Z gauges, smittybuilt front and rear bumpers, Tom Woods CV joint rear driveshaft.
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

It's a gas tank...not much you can screw up there.

Factory tanks only came in 15 gallon steel and 20/21 gallon plastic...you don't have a 10 gallon tank unless someone put something else under there.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Workethic

I think the previous guy did, because that's all it fills up to.
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
m2rtin
1986 CJ7 

Do the poly tanks have the same measurements as the steel ones? Is the filling neck the same diameter? No issues as these at all?

Thanks
m2rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
SecretSquirrel
1980 CJ7 

After I installed my new 15 gallon replacement tank I towed my CJ 7 to the gas station. No matter how hard I tried I could not get over 13 gallons in it.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I exchange the OEM steel tank (15 gal) for a 20 gal Poly tank.

There are different tanks for different model depending on what you want to do and what you have, they have kits for most popular swaps.

I got mine direct from MTS, I thank they sale to other outlets. MTS COMPANY, L.C. - Jeep fuel tanks

In my kit, I used the OEM skid plate, and it came with extensions, and the tank was complete with the dip tube, return line, fittings for the roll over connections, and fuel sending unit.

It was an easy swap, with some fab work.

The poly will not rust. I am pleased that I did the change. While I was there I replaced all my lines and beefed up my ground wire. Re assembled all the electrical connections with liberal amounts of dielectric grease.

I have had some fuel delivery issues, but none related to the poly tank.

I put in the 20 gal tank, but I can hold 23 gal.

The dip tube that comes with the kit does not have a filter (sock) on the end, that is probably my only issue.

To fix an unrelated problem, i installed an intank fuel pump, and at that time put in a sock.

I am pleased with my poly tank and I am glad that I made the change.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workethic View Post
I think the previous guy did, because that's all it fills up to.

Did you actually run it completely out of gas and then fill it up? When I first bought mine and drove it home, the gauge would register full to empty, at which point I would stop for gas, and put approximately 10 gallons in it. I thought the same thing as you until I pulled the gas tank out to replace my rear crossmember and discovered it was a 15 gallon tank with a bad sending unit.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Additional information

There is an active/ongoing thread about the poly tank.

There are some photos, etc, One photo shows the 0051 tank, (15 gal) I think from Quadratic, I have the similar (from that angle, looks the same) tank from MTS that is the 0051XL and a 20 gal tank.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/no...s-tank-921565/
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet44 View Post
Did you actually run it completely out of gas and then fill it up? When I first bought mine and drove it home, the gauge would register full to empty, at which point I would stop for gas, and put approximately 10 gallons in it. I thought the same thing as you until I pulled the gas tank out to replace my rear crossmember and discovered it was a 15 gallon tank with a bad sending unit.
Mine does exactly the same thing. It would go to empty, and so I'd fill up. 10 to 11 gal. every time. Was out wheeling with H2oJeep, and decided to see how far it would go on "empty". Since he carried the extra gas, I was safe to experiment. Sure enough, I made it back to camp and then some. Must be a common problem.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

If I may interupt, has anyone ever considered modifying a plastic 97+ XJ tank? It's 20 gallons. Plus they're probably really cheap right now.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
If I may interupt, has anyone ever considered modifying a plastic 97+ XJ tank? It's 20 gallons. Plus they're probably really cheap right now.
Most likely they will not fit between the frame rails. AFAIK: XJ's are much wider and I doubt the fill holes would be in the correct position.
Unread 12-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #14
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

H2ojeep - how much did you pay? I just can't see paying so much more for 6 more gallons. I have a 6 gallon gas can I can carry cheaper than $120 for the bigger tank and installation kit.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
H2ojeep - how much did you pay? I just can't see paying so much more for 6 more gallons. I have a 6 gallon gas can I can carry cheaper than $120 for the bigger tank and installation kit.

Below is a response I gave about a week ago enforcing Romain's comments to someone seeking advise to the increased fuel capacity:

It was post #7, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...decide-918032/

That post show here in blue;

Originally Posted by Mike Romain
I would really miss being able to run for 350 highway miles before getting gas, especially as I wheel for more than a week back in the bush lots. Having to come out for fuel kills most of a day.

I wouldn't go smaller.

X2
But then it depends on "why" you have your jeep, I like my jeep because it is analogous with "away from civilization ", "roadless", wilderness, isolated etc. where there are no places to get fuel.

And a jeep is not a Prius (thank God), so fuel economy is not likely to be stellar. With that in mind, I like all the fuel I can have.

I made the change from 15 to 20 (23 actual) and to poly. And it was a definite improvement. I though I would be dragging my fuel tank skid, but have not as yet and have been on some challenging trails.

Maybe unique to me (but not uncommon in western states), I live where, after you hit pavement, one can go 70-80 miles with out a place to get fuel. (and as the industry goes, there will probably be fewer and fewer fuel stops)

As noted, if you are using your jeep to run around or to the edge of town, then the smaller tank may be ok, but not the norm for what a jeep is normally used for.

I would try to stay with the larger tank.

Cutless, to answer your question, my cost to purchase the higher capacity tank was about $250 (did it over a year ago and don’t recall the actual amount). You reference $120 difference, I don’t know and never considered.

For the reasons noted from the previous post and the fact that:

1. I don’t have to carry extra fuel inside on the rough roads that the jeep is subject to, that it is not sloshing around, leaking and smelling bad, getting hot and expanding and leaking, taking up extra space, and is a enormous safety hazard.

2. While I could fabricate racks to hold jerry cans to the back (and add the cost of the cans and fab cost, and the difference is now down to about $60). Those tanks would be exposed and unsecured. I am often times away from my jeep for hours, fly fishing, boating, hunting, scuba diving, spelunking, or just sight seeing. Anyone could take or empty my extra fuel supply.

So now the difference is down to $60 more or less (probably less and the difference a lot more that $120 to purchase the gas can and racks as opposed to homemade).

And to reinforce what Mike Romain said, I would not want to be killing time to run back to pavement to refuel. That would be an enormous pain in the "south end".

YES……in weighting the pros and cons, and considering my jeep usage, it is every bit worth the $30, 40, 60, even 120 dollar difference.

Now I grant you that if someone's usage is to ONLY run their jeep to the edge of town, or to run around town with the top town, or their jeep is something to polish, shine, or put chrome on (all good uses for the jeep if it’s their thing) then the extra fuel capacity may not be worth it. I have a jeep friend who lives close to a kid who has “well to do parents”. The kid has a jeep that is equipped with everything, I mean EVERYTHING. We jokingly commented that he must have called Quadrac and said "send everything that fits my jeep, including decals, here is my mom’s credit card ", and the conclusion to the comment was that if it “rings his bell” then we are more that happy for him.

Thanks for the question, in re-evaluating the decision, for my priorities, I feel like changing to the larger fuel tank is a exceptional good judgment.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.