PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #106
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

keep it CJ

Unread 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #107
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
DUDE... you're an ANIMAL! Did you get all that done today? d-a-n-g...

The rot along the weld seams is common. I had to fix that too, but mine wasn't as bad. Glad you got your crossmember. Keep up the good work!
I agree Scott, I was reading through the build playing catch-up and Kastraelie is hauling butt. I did see some second guessing a few pages later...just wait until second guessing becomes third, and fourth and....

Great job Kastraelie, the YJ tub sounds like a deal
Unread 06-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #108
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Go for the tub, but keep the chassis. Unless you get it dipped I don't think you can get rid of rust completely. As for the bodymounts: you don't have to move those. I left them in the old location and the YJ body has a rail that fits right on top. This will only require you to drill two holes instead of moving around the bodymount itself.
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #109
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylke View Post
Go for the tub, but keep the chassis. Unless you get it dipped I don't think you can get rid of rust completely. As for the bodymounts: you don't have to move those. I left them in the old location and the YJ body has a rail that fits right on top. This will only require you to drill two holes instead of moving around the bodymount itself.
Swweeeeeeeeeeett
Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #110
jsp_28504
1974 CJ5 

your a computer guy from biloxi mississippi? Im a former 3C0X2, not sure if that means anything to you or not, but biloxi is a big training area in my job.
jsp_28504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #111
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Hey man--I'm not Air Force but I used to be in ERP Systems, so I am somewhat familiar. Now I'm waist deep into one startup focusing that designs and builds streaming hardware...working on a DOD contract for drones now but who knows how that will turn out.

The other startup that I got pulled off of but still trying to get to launch is an industrial design firm...I design stuff like heatsinks for videocards & ram...and commercial PC case concepts.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #112
jsp_28504
1974 CJ5 

Sounds pretty cool. I do mostly network Security/defense. Im about to get out via a medical discharge. I have even less experience with engines then you do, and i am trying to do a 74 cj5 as quick as possable so i can drive it.
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #113
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp_28504 View Post
your a computer guy from biloxi mississippi? Im a former 3C0X2, not sure if that means anything to you or not, but biloxi is a big training area in my job.
Isn't that a Protocol Droid!?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #114
jsp_28504
1974 CJ5 

Yes, i am humanoid in form and equipped with the top of the line circuitry and servos that were needed for repair tasks and other detailed work on my CJ5. :P

Basically i have in line fuses and am known to periodically start on fire even when my battery isint in.
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #115
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp_28504 View Post
Basically i have in line fuses and am known to periodically start on fire even when my battery isint in.
What's wrong with inline fuses?
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #116
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

OK the next few updates will be a tad bit disorganized as I have been moving and dealing with other craziness. It will be a bit out of order... so I will just caption the pictures instead of saying what I did in what steps.

Last time I mentioned I bought a YJ tub from a guy with a Jeep "ranch." Maybe it was a farm, but the only thing he was growing with CJ seeds is rust. Anyways, Jake (the owner) is a cool guy and has an impressive collection of old jeeps and jeep parts.

Jeff was eyeing a CJ8 with an Iron Duke and ended up buying it the other day. In fact, Jake is dragging it over to my new house today. I am going to pretend its mine for a few weeks--I have always wanted a CJ8.

Here is one with a little PP:

Another I guess:

Here are a few more Jeeps that looked interesting and in various states of array:

And here is a roll cage I wanna buy...

Unread 06-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #117
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

So Jeff bought the 8?? Cool! Looks tan in one pic and silver in another.

Buy the cage. How much does Jake want? Looks good and should bolt right up. Hop to it Banana Boy!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #118
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

And no, that was not the majority of stuff on the Ranch.

We went back home and I went to work on stripping the frame, transfer case, transmission, and a few other parts.

Because I was moving soon...and I wanted to get a bit more organized...I decided to get a tool chest. I wouldn't have dropped the cash, but I resigned myself to the Jeep not being done anytime soon. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and Harbor Freight. I compared all their chests physically and by price. Amazingly enough I thought the highest quality chest was from Harbor Freight! Sears and Lowes had some decent ones, but the Sears offerings were not as sturdy as the HF flagship....and were two times the price. I was going to buy the flagship then a mechanic told me the one he had up front (that was on sale for 200) was amazing quality. I bought it despite it not being on the showroom floor. BIG mistake..I got it home and it was cheap and ugly as sin. I took it back and got the right one:

It was expensive...but I love it! Drawers and pistons are extremely smooth. It rolls well and is built quite solid. Its not as good as the ones from Snapon or maybe older craftsmen stuff...but still.

The next day we all got up early--Jeff, myself, and my friend and work buddy Dean who flew in from Seattle to visit and work on a project with me (besides moving and car stuff). I wanted to take apart the rear brakes to see what was up, but Jeff dove in before I had the opportunity:

It looked like the piston or reservoir thingy might have caused it to seize. I don't know the official name but I will replace both.

We also took off the front brakes:

I brought a bag of tools, and we headed to the Jeep Ranch to pull my tub. Here is a picture of Dean standing in front of it:

It is in fairly good shape, or so it looked at the time. The rear quarter panel on the drivers side is a little dented...but for the price i can live with it since I plan on some body armor back there anyways. The tub body mounts were all good, or so they looked...which is what sold me. There is some horrible bedliner in there that will be a pain to get off, and a bit of surface rust here and there, but nothing big. We got to work:

In two hours of working we had it off. Not bad at all. Only issue was the roll cage. Over the next FOUR hours we tried everything to get it off but those $*^@ torx bolts were a major pain in the butt. We had to get it off, because apparently the roll cage mounts were rusted completely through on the long tab side. AKA where the bolts were not. Looking back now it probably would have been best just to cut out all the mounts with a sawzaw since I am going to have to weld in metal anyways...but instead I decided to endure four hours on what happened to be the hottest day of the year, in the sun, with 67% humidity.

It was my tub, so I got to work on the cutting, grinding, prying, and cussing. The guys offered to help and I took them up here or there but I didn't want them to go through the hell to get my tub separated. After a long time Jake's (the owners) dad told us we could use Jake's Torch. Jeff Wheeled it out and showed me how to use it:

It seemed simple enough but it was pretty rough using it without sunglasses or any kind of tinting. I did have safety goggles but no face mask and no gloves with a T shirt. Molten metal turns out to be very hot and angry when it splashes around, and I got a bit burned but nothing major. I tried getting the bolts out with the torch, but it just made a mess, fused metal together, and started to warp the body. So I gave up and went back to the grinder and dealing with awful angles.

When I was 95% done Jake got home and helped me on the last two--we worked side by side. Because of the awful angles it was very difficult to get at the bolts, and his grinder slipped on him and went flying out into the field. He cut is arm up but nothing serious.

In the end we got the #*@&rs out of the tub and it was still in one piece:

I officially hate Torx heads.

After that day I wanted to crash but Dean and I worked on painting the frame, transmission, and transfer case. I used Marine Clean and Metal Ready on everything...that stuff is AMAZING. Nothing works as well as it...well, nothing relatively safe does. I wouldn't use hydrochloric acid. Anyways, BUY IT! The Transmission and Transfer case I used silver high temp paint on, just like the engine.

Dean went home narrowly missing helping us move (our closing got delayed). On the way home from the airport I stopped in a wonderfully hick town (loved it!) at their gas station. I saw this outside and thought it was priceless:

They indeed were...all of them were in the box.

The next day I got to moving. It was a bunch of work as I have never moved by myself before but thanks to my awesome wife we got everything in there in one day and 80% unpacked a few days later. It was just two miles away so I felt safe loading like this:

BTW I have pics of the painting process...but they are on Dean's camera so I will upload them later.

To get my workshop ready I needed to build a solid work bench. I called Jeff up to see what he was doing and he came over to help. He had built some good ones for his shop and I wanted to copy his. He did all the measurements for me, and I bought the lumber and he got to work marking for my saw:

I'll tell you, that man is some good free labor. But seriously he is a great friend and has been awesome help to me on this project. I got it all put together with his guidance:

It was extremely sturdy, even though I opted to use 3/8" plywood for the top instead of buying more 2x6x8s as I had TONS of plywood left by the PO. I drilled it to the workshop wall too...so if there is another hurricane (my house is right by the backbay) my workbench will hold it down.

Another long day done, we went to my favorite place to smoke cigars:

Unread 06-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #119
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
So Jeff bought the 8?? Cool! Looks tan in one pic and silver in another.

Buy the cage. How much does Jake want? Looks good and should bolt right up. Hop to it Banana Boy!
Yeah I think I will make him and offer on it. I'm not sure about the seat mounts...those look like the Corbeau (sp?) mounting brackets. Any way my old YJ seats will bolt to them? Is there a converter I can buy? I mean I know I can make it work...but I like easy and professional looking--as long as the price is right.
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #120
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

BTW my name is Josh though I answer to Banana as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.