PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > PoisonBanana - My no tools, budget or clue frame-off.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #91
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Closed the garage door and forgot to check if it cleared the rearend. It didn't. PHAM fell from 24 inches. =/

Kastraelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #92
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I think your welding plan is correct. I would have done something similar. Also, glad to know you are a cigar afficionado! I need to buy a couple ofr a buddy, and I don't know what are good brands.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #93
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastraelie View Post
Oooo, I didn't know that....thanks for that info
Not a problem. I myself don't take chances like that. I'd rather spend the $85 on new head bolts now than to spend hundreds later to fix or replace the heads and whatever else went wrong. I always err on the side of caution on rebuilds cause you never know what has been done to the engine prior to you getting it and you dont know if any of the bolts were slightly over torqued past their yield point.
JMcDonaldKnives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #94
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
I think your welding plan is correct. I would have done something similar. Also, glad to know you are a cigar afficionado! I need to buy a couple ofr a buddy, and I don't know what are good brands.

Let's hope it is! As for the cigars, I don't know if I am an aficionado, I just smoke a bunch of cigars.

As for good brands for your buddy, I guess I would ask what kind of smokes he likes. You can't go wrong with Pedron, Rocky Patel, and Alec Bradley (IMO). Arturo Fuente has a good following for good reason, but they do have some lower end cigars that end up in gas station and cigarette shop "humidors" and can be unpleasant. Buying from a good shop is recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonaldKnives

Not a problem. I myself don't take chances like that. I'd rather spend the $85 on new head bolts now than to spend hundreds later to fix or replace the heads and whatever else went wrong. I always err on the side of caution on rebuilds cause you never know what has been done to the engine prior to you getting it and you dont know if any of the bolts were slightly over torqued past their yield point.
I am not going to throw caution to the wind. I feel I should respect your advise so I am going to purchase some new headbolts. Do I have to replace the head gaskets again or can I just unbolt them and stick new ones in?

Who knows how many times they have been reused... Anyways, thanks again for swooping in with the warning.

My Frame-Off
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #95
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
I am not going to throw caution to the wind. I feel I should respect your advise so I am going to purchase some new headbolts. Do I have to replace the head gaskets again or can I just unbolt them and stick new ones in?

Who knows how many times they have been reused... Anyways, thanks again for swooping in with the warning.
You should be ok as long as the head gasket isn't scored. Just be careful when taking out the bolts and removing the head. You could probably loosen all the bolts one at a time and snug them back up just to keep the head from moving and then starting from the middle, replace the bolts and work your way out like you would do when you torqued them down the first time and just torque them to the first spec and then once all are replaced you just retorque like normal. Here is a set that would last you but they are on the higher end if you didn't want to go with stock. (IIRC you have a 350 small block chevy engine)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AR...?query=CID|350

Here is a listing from Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/M.../?Ns=Price|Asc
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #96
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

image-2507625049.jpg

Is this an acceptable shackle position? Im adjusting the mounts now before welding. Thanks.

My Frame-Off
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #97
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Just a question, but why weld the shackle hangers? Why not just bolt them on?
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #98
JMcDonaldKnives
1980 CJ7 

Don't look too bad to me.
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #99
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

Burn it in
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #100
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Something personal I guess. To each his own, right? I have thought about it as well and then decided against it. That actually turned out to be a good thing. I used the 4wd hardware kit for a yj spring conversion at first, but I really wasn't sold on the quality. When I found out about the crabtree (Jim1611) shackle hangers I was glad I could replace them without having to cut off the old ones.
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #101
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

To clarify: I am going to bolt in the hangers until I am 100% sure everything is where it should be with my new suspension. Then I will take a second look at burning them in before painting.

Today I spent my free time worrying about the structural integrity of my frame, how to coat the inside to stop rust, and a bunch of other worry wart stuff. I was planning on doing it how Dave (243) did his...but now that I am in the logistics stage I had to have another episode of self-doubt.

I went back in my garage and stared at the frame, stood on it, moved it by my welded spring perch, and beat it with a hammer. I decided I need to stop worrying as everything sounds quite solid. Coating the inside might not stop rust, but I think I have many years, and maybe a decade or two before I really have to worry about a new frame. I don't live in a dry climate anymore, but neither do I have to worry about salted roads. =)
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #102
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

A large part of this kind of work is daunting. Especially if it is the first time you ever attempted it, as in my case. In my lifetime I have learned that the best way to do something that you don't really want to do is to just hunker down and do it! Thinking about it, contemplating the chance for errors, or even dreading the total amount of physical output will ALWAYS make you have second thoughts. If there is something that you want done on your Jeep, then do it! Once it's done, it is no longer daunting. Sorry... my philosophy pill hasn't worn off yet!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #103
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

Yeah but that just makes me want to buy a TDK frame.
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #104
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Yeah but that just makes me want to buy a TDK frame.
In that situation I revert to my conscience (spelled w-i-f-e-y!) and I ALWAYS make the appropriate decision!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #105
Kastraelie
1977 CJ7 

GUYS! New update!

I found a nice guy named Jay who has a Jeep graveyard on his back 60 near where I live. If you need a part, he probably has it...albeit its probably more rusty than the part you are trying to replace.

The good news is that he has an 80s model (from the looks) YJ that he showed me. It has some rust and rot in a few places...but stuff that is easily repairable--especially after my first test run with my tub. All of the body mounts look perfect. I gave him $375 as a deposit, and he says he will take off more if I help pull it. You can bet that is what I intend to do!

Anyways, I need to make a decision about the frame. He says he will sell me the frame and body for 600, which is a steal compared to what I have been looking at. Now I would have taken that in an instant, but I have $400 into my old frame right now for the rear crossmember, spring mount, and rear frame repair sections.

Stuff I know:

1. My frame is pretty solid now, and it is all set up for a CJ7 tub.
2. My frame is always going to have rust on the inside, and the best I can do is seal it.
3. To mount a YJ tub on a CJ7 frame requires I cut the frame body mounts near the back tires and move them forward.
4. The YJ frame is galvanized, and I hear that it was sturdier out of the factory. The one in question has some surface rust...but nothing scary.
5. The YJ frame is basically $225

Stuff I don't know

1. Can I mount the CJ7 Fenders and front grill to the YJ frame without mods? I couldn't find an article that talked about this.
2. Would my D44 and D30 bolt to my springs, or would I have to move the mounts on the axels to get them to fit?

Basically I'm kinda looking for a combination of better choice and whatever is easier. =P

What say you, Jeepforum?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.