Got up several hours before work today to make some more progress on the Jeep. I really want to have the frame well on its way to being done by the end of the week!
REALLY super-crappy pictures today guy, sorry.
It is really shocking how little I know about cars. I tried to remove the rear driveshaft by taking out the clips on the U joint. I don't know how that would help me looking back now that I understand how it works. All you need to do is unbolt the two mini U bolts on either side:
I was a bit confused on just how one is supposed to remove the driveshaft after unbolting it, as there seemed to be no slack in which to pull it from the rear axle. After a bit I realized I could just move the transfer case toward the front of the jeep as it was bolted to those rubber bushings, and there was some play. Then I was able to gently take out the driveshaft from the axle end:
I couldn't pull the driveshaft out from the transfercase, however. I had seen a picture of one before so I understood there was nothing in particular holding it in (unlike with the transmission, as I had no clue how it hooked up to the transfercase.).
I did notice some fluid coming from the yoke as I was pulling on it. I guessed that it might be capillary suction keeping it in, and decided I should drain the transfercase because it needed to be done anyways. I found a plug at the bottom and opened it up. BAM. NOAHS SECOND FLOOD.
I was not prepared for the amount of fluid that came out of the transfer case...and so violently! It was nothing like draining a car engine.
Fluid got everywhere and filled the oil catcher so fast it started to overflow:
With the transferbomb all drained, I could EASILY pull the driveshaft out:
The driveshaft looks modified...two welds on either side. I wonder if it was shortened or lengthened? I'm guessing shortened, you need to shorten them when you lift the jeep up, correct?
It was VERY obvious how to disconnect the front driveshaft after doing the rear, and it was simpler because you just needed to undo four bolts on the transfercase side instead of worrying about a splined yoke:
It would have been a pain in the butt to get them out with a spinning shaft, but my electric impact wrench made short work of them (the picture shows me using a wrench but I just wanted to point them out). I did drop a cap, but none of the bearings came out, thank God. I stuck it back on the u joint and removed the shaft:
I had another excuse to use my crane, and the transfer case had what seemed to be a mounting point on it for a chain anyways...I bolted my chain to that eye and to one of the transmission bolt holes in the front:
After getting some tension on the chain, it was time to remove the crossmember/skidplate. The PO had dropped the skidplate several incheswith a fabbed bracket that he bolted through the side of the frame, as an offering to the rust gods:
I have no idea why there are dents in the frame where the bolts go through...or what could have caused this, but they are obviously related to these bolts. Speaking of the bolts, they had been damaged some how and the threads made getting the nuts off nigh impossible. But I managed. Removing the two bolts on the underside of the skidplate that bolted to the transmission+transfercase adapter was easy as pie. When they came off the skidplate was easily removed with a clang:
The NP208 C transfercase was easily pulled out and moved into the garage. What is that long rod that connects to the transfercase, (the long one on the bottom of the picture) by the way? It doesn't seem to perform and mechanical function...some kind of brace?
Next it was time to get the Jeep into the garage. I had planned on moving it in there eventually so parked it so I could roll it in, but I needed slightly more space than I planned so I got the crane out again and lifted the front end...then I could move the front end left and push it in:
After a MAJOR battle with the Jeep, I got it into the garage. Something was binding in the passenger side rear wheel and it would not move forward unless I pushed just that wheel. It went backward fine, however. I made a post in this thread
and got some helpful ideas. I'll figure out which one is causing my problem later. Right now I am just glad I achieved the milestone of getting the Jeep in the garage for the first time:
When I got it in, I noticed the front, rear spring hangar was severely damaged. I dont have a picture but it was basically cut in half. I ordered a new one on Amazon.com and will weld it in by measuring eye to eye on my springs and using the other side as a reference. All for now!